Craigslist posting 17 treess in Margate City NJ

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looked overpriced, mostly sticks in a pot.

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No disrespect meant toward the owner but there really isn't much there in my opinion.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No disrespect to the owner...but I see nothing there that says anything of mature trees. Or as mentioned other than a majority of tiny sticks in a pot. You can find cheaper on eBay.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...since 1987....

It does seem like the material has not progressed to a point that nearly 30 years experience would provide. However, to be fair 30 years ago there were no forums and very few outlets to gain knowledge like we have in present times. This person could have been in an area like I am that has no others interested in the art or a club nearby. In their eye's maybe the "instant beautiful collection" rings true. But then again it's probably just bait for the less learned.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like I'm not the only CL crawler around....After the Nut CL is the 2nd website I check.

Brian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It does seem like the material has not progressed to a point that nearly 30 years experience would provide. However, to be fair 30 years ago there were no forums and very few outlets to gain knowledge like we have in present times. This person could have been in an area like I am that has no others interested in the art or a club nearby. In their eye's maybe the "instant beautiful collection" rings true. But then again it's probably just bait for the less learned.

In New Jersey all this would have to be kept inside which would slow it down considerably. But even taking that into consideration a 21 year old Fukien tea would have to be much larger and more refined than the one he is asking $150.00 for.

ed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In New Jersey all this would have to be kept inside which would slow it down considerably. But even taking that into consideration a 21 year old Fukien tea would have to be much larger and more refined than the one he is asking $150.00 for.

ed
An enlightened English chap once told me, "There are some who practice bonsai for 30 years, and some who practice bonsai for a year; 30 times over."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Isn't phempis really hard to find in the states? I haven't seen is for sale here before, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't phempis really hard to find in the states? I haven't seen is for sale here before, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

What the hell is phemphis? I looked at the link and did not see it, then re-read the thread and did not see it mentioned unless I missed it?

EDIT amd then I go back and look again at the listing and see Pemphis acidula ! How the hell did I miss that? There are three in the list, anyhow looked them up and they seem to be fairly common throughout Asia and coastal eastern Africa alomng with nations with Pacific Ocean coastlines as well as Indian Ocean coastlines. So they would be pretty rare here.

ed

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What the hell is phemphis? I looked at the link and did not see it, then re-read the thread and did not see it mentioned unless I missed it?

ed

Pemphis. He's got 3 of them listed.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ed

Found this Ed. Hope it helps.

"Pemphis acidula is a plant species found in tropical and subtropical regions of the world where it is often referred to as a shrub. It is native here in the Philippines where it does not have a dormant period. As a result, the trunk size of a large Pemphis can reach around 1.5 meters in girth!

The nice rugged character and shape of many of the trunks is the handywork of the strong winds and big waves that sweep across the reefs, knocking over the Pemphis growing on them, during each typhoon season (August to December each year). The winds then change in and around March and the onset of the hot summer months begins. During this time the Pemphis will grow vigorously upright again. It is this seasonal change in the weather and growth habit that creates such beautiful bonsai material".

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
An enlightened English chap once told me, "There are some who practice bonsai for 30 years, and some who practice bonsai for a year; 30 times over."

Sometimes I feel like I'm on the 1 year plan. Like every day is a scene out of Groundhog's Day....

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gentleman selling the trees, is an old IBCer.

Pretty sad to see this as he is giving up everything as he ages.

The Tamarind, I believe he grew from seed, sent to him as a sweet, from down here and the Gmelina, parrot's beak, was a gift from Bonsai Boy.

The phemphis, will become with time and ground growing a magnificent Bonsai. It is the Tropical version of a Shimpaku, if you do a Google, many examples should show up.

This is really a disheartening post to have seen, to have to give up your "children" because of age and eventual end. A great pity that he never had an apprentice or just someone to carry on his work.

By the way they are small, because his grow space, indoors is also very limited.
Good Day
Anthony

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

The Tamarind, I believe he grew from seed, sent to him as a sweet, from down here and the Gmelina, parrot's beak, was a gift from Bonsai Boy.

The phemphis, will become with time and ground growing a magnificent Bonsai. It is the Tropical version of a Shimpaku, if you do a Google, many examples should show up.

This is really a disheartening post to have seen, to have to give up your "children" because of age and eventual end. A great pity that he never had an apprentice or just someone to carry on his work.

By the way they are small, because his grow space, indoors is also very limited.
Good Day
Anthony

As I suspected and very sad.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Good Day
Anthony

That is very sad...growing from seed explains much. I think Craigslist is just known for so many scams...that many see the material and the time frame in which he did bonsai. Expecting more. It is very sad that he came to a point in his life he had to give up a hobby he no doubt enjoyed. :(

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Craigslist crawler

Looks like I'm not the only CL crawler around....After the Nut CL is the 2nd website I check.

Brian

Wee,
Same here with Craigslist. I'm always looking there. Just yesterday found a very nice person selling off 30 some pots. I'll pick them up this weekend and see what I got.

Cadillactaste
I know what you mean about the scammers on Craigslist, but I've also met some very nice people there. I even found a contractor!

All,
At least someone will have the opportunity to save some of his trees. I can imagine how many older practitioners end up in a hospital and decades of work dry up and die before anybody knows better. This fellow is trying to prevent that and would, I wager, negotiate those prices if need be.

CW

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene,

I know you have a natural love for Bougainvilleas, and they are actually sub-tropical, can handle some cold probably zone 9.

The tamarind has less tolerance for cold, but the flowers are orchid types, and the Gmelina, will give results similar to a trident maple, with a stunning bark that cracks as it ages [ 10 years plus.]
The tamarind also has beautiful bark that flakes with age and both plants can be kept small.
We use the Gmelina for mame' [ 3" ] and the Tamarind for 6 to 12".

So if you know anyone who can give them a home.........................

The Pemphis, is fairly tropical, we have seed from Budi Suylisto and the elderly gentleman's came from most likely Leo De Leon [ see his work over at Bonsai4me ] he is a member of BSG.
The leaves are very small, the bark with age is amazing as are the shapes they are mostly found in.
It's a tree, and it has an ability to survive in cracks on rocks out at sea.

We had 50 seeds from his fukien tea, the first born, the prime has a name, and is being placed in the ground for a 3" trunk, and about 15" of height.
The other 49,7 are still in this yard, the rest are in various homes.

Additionally, he sent K, a beautiful pot, as gift, that he had used for years. So the memory alone makes the container valuable.
K is growing a small saaman samanea in it. It is called the 1 acre tree, it is that large on maturity. Also considered the most symmetrical tree in the work, leaves close at night.
Not local, imported from South or Central America many, many years ago.

The old chap is actually very talented, a painter and a war vet.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom