Crape Myrtle Crazy

revelup

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I just put my Speedmaster on after reading this. Not my daily driver as it's my nicest timepiece. Thanks! I love the big Crape as well. I have a chunky air layer I'm growing out now and I am very inspired by the shape of that tree. I also follow your Water Oak and Elm threads as I have a few Zach trees too. Fisherman as well?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just put my Speedmaster on after reading this. Not my daily driver as it's my nicest timepiece. Thanks! I love the big Crape as well. I have a chunky air layer I'm growing out now and I am very inspired by the shape of that tree. I also follow your Water Oak and Elm threads as I have a few Zach trees too. Fisherman as well?

Fly fisherman. Mainly for trout. You?

revelup

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Largemouth bass mostly. I'm a half hour from Lake Okeechobee. Peacock bass as well as some light inshore snook, tarpon. I do have a friend who fishes for largemouth on fly. Do you know what color flowers the large tree will have?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Largemouth bass mostly. I'm a half hour from Lake Okeechobee. Peacock bass as well as some light inshore snook, tarpon. I do have a friend who fishes for largemouth on fly. Do you know what color flowers the large tree will have?

Largemouth on a popping bug is just tons of fun.

Not a clue on the flowers actually. I bought it for the trunk and the bark. Flowers will be a bonus. I should find out pretty soon I guess.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Love your threads @VAFisher and this is a inspiring one for my own crapes as well as your elms for my water elm.

And as a sidenote on the fishing thing I do a annual steelhead trip for a week to trinity river. Hopefully will make it this year though the people who watch my trees when I'm away from home usually go with me 😅

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you made the right choice. The Speedmaster is such a Classic watch, you can dress it up or down. I’ve been eye balling a speedmaster or a Rolex explorer as my next daily wear. I’ve been wearing my sinn 556i, daily for a few years now, it’s about time for an upgrade.
Here’s another Omega in front of crepe haha
3BF44B01-EF0B-464D-856F-3A5A7FD67ABD.jpeg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you made the right choice. The Speedmaster is such a Classic watch, you can dress it up or down. I’ve been eye balling a speedmaster or a Rolex explorer as my next daily wear. I’ve been wearing my sinn 556i, daily for a few years now, it’s about time for an upgrade.
Here’s another Omega in front of crepe haha
View attachment 390401

Very nice. I was looking hard for a while at some vintage Seamaster's on ebay to use as a dedicated dress watch. They made them in larger 37 and 38mm sizes back in the 50s and 60s (which was huge for the time I guess but about right for a modern dress watch). In the end, I decided I didn't really need a dress watch and I'm not expert enough to know that what I was potentially buying was legit and not a franken or outright fake. Yours looks like a really clean example.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love your threads @VAFisher and this is a inspiring one for my own crapes as well as your elms for my water elm.

And as a sidenote on the fishing thing I do a annual steelhead trip for a week to trinity river. Hopefully will make it this year though the people who watch my trees when I'm away from home usually go with me 😅

I've done a few trips to the Rochester, NY area to fish the Lake Ontario streams for what they call steelhead. To me, they are just lake run rainbows. But whatever you want to call them - they're bad ass.

IMGP2508b_zps5c28c779.jpg

revelup

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
That's a beautiful fish. As a teenager I lived in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and we would fish for little Rainbows and Cut throats, but nothing like that guy. Gorgeous specimen.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put my little crape in a bigger pot this summer. Here it is pictured next to a new beer I just discovered that resulted from a partnership with a local brewery and my Alma Mater. The beer is decent (not outstanding), but if there is one thing I know about students at my former school, it's that it won't matter what it tastes like. I've been out of school for almost 30 years and it doesn't really matter to me. Haha.
20210802_133938.jpg

Top Bottom