Crape Myrtle flowers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my Crape Myrtle that I rescued from my moms garden bed! I have had it for four years now. I just repotted it in the spring. Looks like I got some flowers this year!!

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 67

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good to see it took for you. Once they start blooming they seem to continue for quite awhile during the season. :)

Grimmy

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When is the best time to prune them back? Is it like most flowering trees where you prune hard after flowering?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We cut ours back hard here on March fist while dormant.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could be wrong here but we have a lot that grow naturally around here and from what I have seen people cut them hard in late winter/early spring.

Yes. It is important to note that crepe myrtles will only bloom on new growth, so once you trim them in early Spring, don't touch them again that season if you want to see blooms.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes. It is important to note that crepe myrtles will only bloom on new growth, so once you trim them in early Spring, don't touch them again that season if you want to see blooms.
Thanks for that information. I have been working on the ramification. And usually wait till spring to cut back anything. I'm thinking a few more years and I'm chop it almost in half hopefully the trunk will thicking up and hopefully give me a nice trunk to work with. I know putting them in the ground is the best way to achieve that but I like it in the pot Allows me to learn good watering techniques and repotting skills.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a chunky crepe myrtle that I have completely defoliated three times this summer... and it almost looks like I could do it again. Nary a bloom to be seen though because I keep cutting the new growth.

Top Bottom