Crape Myrtle Mame Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really hate the straightness and the thickness of the first branch on the right. I let that one get away from me for sure. I can cover it with leaves during the growing season but it sticks out like a sore thumb right now.

20221107_125858.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Out there suggestion - cut it off for artistic tension reason - eg. there should be something there.
Charles

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi,
Out there suggestion - cut it off for artistic tension reason - eg. there should be something there.
Charles
Thanks for the thought. Not sure I'm ready to commit to that right now though.

I'm thinking a hard cut back might cause something to pop closer to the trunk on that branch which will allow me to cut it back to finer growth and put some better movement in it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking a hard cut back might cause something to pop closer to the trunk on that branch which will allow me to cut it back to finer growth and put some better movement in it.

This would be a hard call for me. I do think that a crape myrtle is likely to throw a sprout from the branch stub if you cut it way back. But the trunk-branch transition is an important aspect of the image of a branch, and you have such nice transitions in the other low branches that it might never match. Take that for what it is worth, seeing that your skill is a class above mine at least.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
do crape myrtles bud back between internodes or only at existing nodes?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This would be a hard call for me. I do think that a crape myrtle is likely to throw a sprout from the branch stub if you cut it way back. But the trunk-branch transition is an important aspect of the image of a branch, and you have such nice transitions in the other low branches that it might never match. Take that for what it is worth, seeing that your skill is a class above mine at least.
The hard cut back would need to be done above that branch as well so that anything new wouldn't get shaded out. Another thought is to take a small chunk out of the bottom of the branch with my concave cutters. Might be even worse after it heals though. I don't know - I'll probably just live with it for a while and continue to hide it with foliage during the season.

Top Bottom