Crape myrtle progression

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Hello,

i got this crape myrtle at a local nursery for about 10 dollars....i chose it because it had peeling bark and a wide base. this shows the crape from when i started it in mid summer to now in late fall (November). nothing really drastic just basic clip and grow and wiring as needed. later more drastic styling will take place like carving and hollowing out the big pruning scars and staining and sealing the wood for character. any advice on this project is appreciated and wanted. i am currently growing the apex so thats why the top has a long shoot growing out, thanks and hope you enjoy. ill keep this updated as it progresses.

right out of the nursery pot and bare rooted: summer 2010a.jpg summer 2010 (3)a.jpgsummer 2010 (2)a.jpg

Fall after a month or so of new growth and wired some branches: Fall 2010a.jpg

Fall after another clip and grow and more wiring, starting to take shape: Fall 2010 Initial Style a.jpg

i cant wait till next spring to see this one fill out with new growth.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just my opinion, of course, but you're growing this to look like a pine tree with a single, tall trunk and evenly spaced side branches. That's not how crape myrtles grow, and (in my opinion, of course) not what crape myrtle bonai shuld look like.

You need a short trunk and spreading branches. Modified broom style would be the best description, I guess.

I offer a couple of mine as examples, though there certainly are other ways to go.

Attachments

• Informal 9-09 a.jpg
    Informal 9-09 a.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Tall mini 7-10 front.jpg
    Tall mini 7-10 front.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 8-30-10 c.jpg
    8-30-10 c.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 125

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Yeah I know I have several crapes just doin something different I guess. This tree isvonly a few months in development but just messing around for now. Thanks for the input and nice trees.

Kaztan

Seed
Reaction score
I like the three trees you show very much indeed, Well done.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
update on the crape!

2011-08-02_19-16-36_570.jpg

enjoy!

Will B.

Reaction score
Will, I personally think you are off to a very good start with this one...
Sorry to diagree... but yes there are single trunk crape myrtles, and they are usually the ones that end up being the nicest!

What I think you need to do... is angle the top branches down a little... on very, very old crape myrtles, they will actually dome over on top, and the branches will start falling back towards the ground, giving the tree an almost weeping look. Next, I think you need to just let this thing grow crazy for a couple of years, controlling only the top growth... for it doesn't really need to be any taller.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
thank you so much for the kind words! this tree has come a long way in just two years. i will take your advice and let it grow. i might get to see what color the flowers are!

thanks for the virt too!

Top Bottom