Crape Myrtle Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree was growing in my yard but wasn't doing very well in my heavy clay soil. I was putting in some new stands back in 2018 and this was in the way, so I decided to make a bonsai out of it. I chopped it and put it straight into a bonsai pot in 2018. Here is the first pic I have from 2019.

20193.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And here it is in 2020 with a little more growth.

2020.jpeg

Later in 2020, I removed some of the branches and gave it a prune. It popped a shoot down low on the right that I decided to keep just in case.

20204.jpeg

billfromtheboot

Seedling
Reaction score
She’s a beauty. I have a crape that was growing in my yard. I cut it back and eventually dug it up after it went through initial shock, and it’s just now growing in new blooms. A little late, but it’s a sign she’s willing to survive. I never thought I would enjoy these as bonsai, but it’s now one of my favorite trees. She had a bad case of mold, but that I’m not seeing any mold on the new growth. I’ll post some pics after she grows out a bit more. Love your tree. Such a beautiful specimen.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might have missed it but I don't see any mention of who made that pot.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Love the pot and the tree! The only thing I would comment on is that the lower left area is a little dense when compared with the rest of the tree that is more open. I like the openness of the rest of the tree. Wish I had one of those growing in my yard! What kind of Crape Myrtle is it? I'll look on-line for one.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the pot and the tree! The only thing I would comment on is that the lower left area is a little dense when compared with the rest of the tree that is more open. I like the openness of the rest of the tree. Wish I had one of those growing in my yard! What kind of Crape Myrtle is it? I'll look on-line for one.
Thanks for the thoughts. I have no idea what type of crape it is actually. It started as a volunteer at my folks house. I planted it in my landscape in 2012 or 2013 but it never thrived in the location I picked. I dug it up in 2018. I think it has pink flowers but I'm not totally sure as I keep it trimmed too often for it to flower.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The tree looks great. I noticed you have a number of Myrtle threads and wondered if you could provide some general advice on over wintering and any special care needed for this species. I picked one up over the weekend from a nursery at a steep discount - it was the only deciduous species that lost its leaves already. I assume it's alive, but only time will tell.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree looks great. I noticed you have a number of Myrtle threads and wondered if you could provide some general advice on over wintering and any special care needed for this species. I picked one up over the weekend from a nursery at a steep discount - it was the only deciduous species that lost its leaves already. I assume it's alive, but only time will tell.
Sure thing. Mine stay out on the benches until right around Thanksgiving most years. By then they have usually experienced several nights below freezing, but no worse than about 25 degrees, and are good and dormant. After that, they come into my unheated garage and spend the winter on a shelf. That way, I can keep an eye on them for watering etc. The downside is they can wake up early some years and I have to do the two-step to protect them from the inevitable late freeze.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sure thing. Mine stay out on the benches until right around Thanksgiving most years. By then they have usually experienced several nights below freezing, but no worse than about 25 degrees, and are good and dormant. After that, they come into my unheated garage and spend the winter on a shelf. That way, I can keep an eye on them for watering etc. The downside is they can wake up early some years and I have to do the two-step to protect them from the inevitable late freeze.
Much thanks.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was growing in my yard but wasn't doing very well in my heavy clay soil. I was putting in some new stands back in 2018 and this was in the way, so I decided to make a bonsai out of it. I chopped it and put it straight into a bonsai pot in 2018. Here is the first pic I have from 2019.

View attachment 440833
I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m starting my first bonsai from scratch with a crepemyrtle. I see that you were able to transition nicely from the chop into a new leader branch.

What is the process or what are the tips to clean up a chop like the one you did. You progressed it really nice.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m starting my first bonsai from scratch with a crepemyrtle. I see that you were able to transition nicely from the chop into a new leader branch.

What is the process or what are the tips to clean up a chop like the one you did. You progressed it really nice.
Initially, I made the chop straight across. Once I had the leader established, I just angled the chop cut down from the base of the leader and made it as smooth as I could. As the leader thickened, it grew over the top of the angled chop. Crape Myrtles heal pretty fast, so it didn't take very long with this tree. It's completely closed over now after about 2 years.

Top Bottom