Crape myrtle project

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking forward to this crape myrtle project. Tree has a lot of potential in my opinion. Has great movement, awesome taper. Trunk is about 5-6 inches and the nebari is about 12 inches wide. I have a few questions about it. I've heard people repotting them in early spring and late fall. Which is best?

Also when is the best time to prune/cut back. I know they're extremely hardy trees and can take a lot of abuse.

Are there any crape myrtle experts in here that can chime in?

IMG_5342.JPG IMG_5340.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 2

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have the limp shoots straightened back up?

I've repotted crapes spring, summer and fall and I don't think I've ever killed one from repotting it. With that said, I think I would play it safe with this one, since it's got such a nice trunk, and not repot until next spring when the buds start to swell. Don't go too early - I did that on some last year and they sulked for a long time before finally waking up. One in particular didn't leaf out until June.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I've repotted crapes spring, summer and fall and I don't think I've ever killed one from repotting it. With that said, I think I would play it safe with this one, since it's got such a nice trunk, and not repot until next spring when the buds start to swell. Don't go too early - I did that on some last year and they sulked for a long time before finally waking up. One in particular didn't leaf out until June.
I just took this picture about 30 minutes ago as I got it in the mail this morning. Hopefully the shoots get supplied with water and start to straighten back up.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking Crape Myrtle trunk. Can't wait until my big one starts having a nice tapered trunk and nebari like yours.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are there any crape myrtle experts in here that can chime in?

Not an expert by any means but my Wife bought a much smaller multi-trunk a Spring 2016 and slip potted it into a nursery container. It seems to like it as it hit 4 foot tall easily and bloomed wonderful. Of course it needed a heavy cutback and I suggested she do that this past March 1st. Same day she reduced it to 8 inches instead of 18 as I suggested :rolleyes: It is now 10 inches tall or so and pretty darn vigorous so here it would be repot/chop very early Spring/Late Winter. Took this picture a few minutes ago -

IMG_1115.JPG

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think she had the right idea, though.....

Agreed but I think taller would have worked ok too :oops: Her project though and seems damn healthy - also seems easier then a lot of other plants for me to care for right now.

Grimmy

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Update : the shoots are starting to raise back up and get more green. All it needed was some water and some sun. It didn't like to be with usps for 3 days. Haha. Trying to figure out what I should do next with it. Let it grow out or start doing some branch selections...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Branch selection now, then wire as soon as the bottom 1-2" of each new shoot starts to lignify. Much earlier, and it's easy to rip them off the trunk. After wiring some wiggle into the base of the branches, let them grow until the wire starts to bite in. Then remove the wire and prune back to 1-2 nodes. Rinse and repeat. Nice trunk on this one.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone have an ideas on what branches I should select. I'm thinking the bottom branch to be one of the ones on the lower left but can't tell if they're a little too low. Any insight? Can't decide. Should I do the selection now and prune of the branches I don't want this time of year or wait till late winter early spring when tree is dormant? Maybe someone can draw on my pic and give me some decisions to make.

IMG_5325.PNG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe someone can draw on my pic and give me some decisions to make.

Sure!
aviary-image-1495186423267.jpeg

Decisions....

When you have material like this, where you have to select from 6 branches in 8 places resulting in 6.5 million possible combinations of outcome....

It's time to start applying a "point" system, according to the basic "rules"....
Which should be devoured here.
http://bonsai4me.com/advanced_techniques.html

Side note...of devoured.
I listened to a radio show yesterday..
About a dude who was learning accordion, and a song on it for a musical, where he would play and walk stairs.

He had to learn to play the part "backwards, upside down, drunk, sober", in order to look natural walking the stairs, and not look like he was "attempting" to Play the song.

So....to Master our CRAFT:p....

We should devour these rules and techniques.
Harry has them laid out the best.
But that isn't EVERYthing!

Anyway....

The part that feller was playing...
Character was a drinker...
So he could miss a note here and there too...

Ahem....break. The. Rules!

Anyway anyway .

After that stuff is DEVOURED!....

you don't have to drag out a sheet of paper and track points....

But question...

I. Anything to heavy for the trunk? (no)
a. If it is, is it safe to fully remove? (N/A)

II. Trunk Direction. (right)
a. First branch? (woody right one though Adair will call it upside down:p)
b. Will the first left branch balance better dropped low bringing movement back left...(i reckon)

III. Balancing Branching on up.
a. Angles.
1.Remove branches at angles lower than the first branch. (none)
2. Remove branches that go straight up. (a few)
3. Follow angles as determined by II.
4. Don't cut anything yet.*

b. Vigour balance and tight nodes.
1. Keep branches with tightest nodes.
2. Keep stronger branches lower and weaker ones at they top.
3. Partially defoliate the apex to slow it further? (cut it back by half that last taper section?)

IV. Assessing Problems and Necessities.
a. Trunk thickening Necessary? (no)
1. Cut the suckers before they are Problematic. (biggest each month?)

b. Hidden Bulge? (lol) below the last taper section?
1. *Keep a new leader below it.
2. Remove all those branches around it asap and plan on trying to thicken Below it*.

Love this piece.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Anyone have an ideas on what branches I should select. I'm thinking the bottom branch to be one of the ones on the lower left but can't tell if they're a little too low. Any insight? Can't decide. Should I do the selection now and prune of the branches I don't want this time of year or wait till late winter early spring when tree is dormant? Maybe someone can draw on my pic and give me some decisions to make.

View attachment 146199
I think the bottom left are too low.. will look like a clump if you keep any of them JMHO

Beyond that, stick with what @Brian Van Fleet said for starting to train it..

Regarding timing- these things are nearly bullet proof where I live! The only thing to be aware of is late freezes! We had a March cold snap after all my CM were starting to push, damn near killed a couple, lost some branches... So watch out for that next Spring. If this guy is healthy and bounced back from the shipping fine, go ahead and give it some attention soon if you want... don't wire while those branches are soft st the base if you want to keep them though, like he said- they are real "fleshy" and easy to tear off/ break! Once lignified, CM branches get BRITTLE FAST, so timing is pretty important if you want good movement... once hardened off theysnap unexpectedly when trying to wire them.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Branch selection now, then wire as soon as the bottom 1-2" of each new shoot starts to lignify. Much earlier, and it's easy to rip them off the trunk. After wiring some wiggle into the base of the branches, let them grow until the wire starts to bite in. Then remove the wire and prune back to 1-2 nodes. Rinse and repeat. Nice trunk on this one.
so should I just select the branches that I want and wait to prune or prune off the unwanted branches now?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Eddy is there a bonsai person whose deciduous bonsai style you like? I'd try to get this one to a workshop with that person if possible. Just an idea.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've contacted a few really experienced people in my area. No responses...
Take it to the Shohin show next month in NC, just hand out in the parking lot with it begging people to help you! ;)

JK... offer them money, you will get a better response.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did some stuff recently. Cut the lower shoots off as they were way to low. Selected my first branch.

IMG_5361.JPG

I think the current height of the tree doesn't accommodate the height of the first branch so I'm taking a new leader to heighten the tree a few more inches maybe 4-5"
IMG_5357.JPG

Slowly working on ramification and it's growing extremely fast and developing the start of ramification finally.
IMG_5356.JPG IMG_5359.JPG IMG_5360.JPG

Will be posting updates slowly on how the tree develops.

Top Bottom