Crassula Ovata (Jade) #1

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So, I've had this Crassula for years.

Tried to make it "bonsai-like", but was never really satisfied. I even neglected it to the point that I didn't even take it outside last summer, so in the heat, with limited light, it became "leggy", with roots sprouting from the branches and the leaves beginning to wrinkle. So I put it outside. With the rain and a colder weather, the leaves became healthy again. I decided to repot it as a house plant, in a "normal" round pot, 3 times the height of this one :

crassula01_201204b.jpg

But I found out that the roots were not so many down the pot, and I had a "flat one that I thought would match. Anyway, I have so many cuttings that I thought it was worth trying. In "real life", it looks quite natural...

crassula01_201204c.jpg

PS: for the moment, I keep it outside, in a place where it's above 0°C, but as low as +2°C. If the temps don't get colder (apparently they won't), I'll add some flowering fertilizer, after repotting I don't think it will work, but let's try 🤤

PS : I was careful enough to save the tiny leaf at the bottom of the trunk, not bad, eh ? 😄

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They do this pretty readily, but I've never seen that many.

As I said, I totally neglected it. It was so dry that when the "branches" didn't have enough energy to stay up, they prepared their fall with roots for a chance to fall in a spot with soil and humidity. Well, if I were a Crassula, that's how I would have reacted 🤤

If it survives (it will, no doubt 😎) I'll trim it hard after the first flush in Spring.

And sell it for a hefty price ! 😄

Joking apart, kidding aside, blague à part, it's so easy playing with Crassula that everyone should try. ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, I've had this Crassula for years.

Tried to make it "bonsai-like", but was never really satisfied. I even neglected it to the point that I didn't even take it outside last summer, so in the heat, with limited light, it became "leggy", with roots sprouting from the branches and the leaves beginning to wrinkle. So I put it outside. With the rain and a colder weather, the leaves became healthy again. I decided to repot it as a house plant, in a "normal" round pot, 3 times the height of this one :

View attachment 343433

But I found out that the roots were not so many down the pot, and I had a "flat one that I thought would match. Anyway, I have so many cuttings that I thought it was worth trying. In "real life", it looks quite natural...

View attachment 343434

PS: for the moment, I keep it outside, in a place where it's above 0°C, but as low as +2°C. If the temps don't get colder (apparently they won't), I'll add some flowering fertilizer, after repotting I don't think it will work, but let's try 🤤

PS : I was careful enough to save the tiny leaf at the bottom of the trunk, not bad, eh ? 😄
Why not reduce those branches to ~1" above a branch division? They are really hard to make like bonsai, but they can be made more compact. There is a nice trunk & main branch network already there.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good reminder. I should bring mine in too.

I think you should add yours to the jades thread!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good reminder. I should bring mine in too.

I think you should add yours to the jades thread!
If I remember I'll get a photo of them all together and post there. :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Crassula sarcocaulis

Thanks for posting : it it can stay outside in Shropshire, I guess it could here too.

I did a quick search, and it's widely available here, they say it can survive -12°C (which hasn't happened for years) and some say -18°C (which never happens here).

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
It will certainly survive normal winters here in England! my Grandmother used to grow this species on her garden rockery many years ago in North East England ! Only one drawback is the flowers smell like sweaty socks!!
I wish I could post you some cuttings as theyre so easy to root,but since Brexit it would be more costly than its worth!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still kicking. I just ignore them on the bench. Sometimes ill do a quick foliar wash-over, otherwise they get nothing from me.

20230716_184507.jpg

Top Bottom