Crassula Ovata Trunk

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
20210112_212220.jpg20210112_212128.jpg
Hello All. Looking forward to learning from/with you all. I have a question about thickening the circled part of the trunk. Should I let the top continue to grow until the desired thickness is reached and then start trimming back for ramification? Just wondering how a succulent like this should be treated. The second picture shows my desired end shape. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 349171View attachment 349172
Hello All. Looking forward to learning from/with you all. I have a question about thickening the circled part of the trunk. Should I let the top continue to grow until the desired thickness is reached and then start trimming back for ramification? Just wondering how a succulent like this should be treated. The second picture shows my desired end shape. Thanks in advance!
Looks like a Portulacaria afra to me.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Looks like a Portulacaria afra to me.
Pretty sure thats a crassula. Portys tend to have more defined colored “stems”. And I too would lose the left part.

To get it to thicken you would have to let it run quite a bit and if it did, it would still be an awkward design.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty sure thats a crassula. Portys tend to have more defined colored “stems”. And I too would lose the left part.

To get it to thicken you would have to let it run quite a bit and if it did, it would still be an awkward design.
you are correct that most ports have those colored stems. But I happen to have one port like Cellobonsai's.
But I am no port expert.

Agree with your all suggestion regarding the design above. My comment to Cellobonsai design is, it's hard to fit a tree into a predefined design style (looks like you're going for a broom style), even if you can do it, it would take much longer time.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think OP is correct, that's a Crassula that just happens to have small leaves about the size of P. afra. I have some that are very similar. The leaves have a Crassula shape and thickness and the bark says Crassula.

To the original question: yes, if you want to thicken a branch, let it grow and then cut it back when it's the thickness that you want. This will behave like any other tree in that regard: thickness is a function of how many leaves are being supported by the trunk/branch. They reliably sprout new leaves on old "wood" when cut back.

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you for the helpful advice everyone! This is my first pre-bonsai with which to experiment. My only negative experience with cutting back has been that it seems to die back quite a bit from the cut area (2-3 rings on the bark) so that I have lost a lot of what I started with. Is that typical?

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Crassula Argentea Compacta to me, they have the smaller leaves. I have a few of them. Treat it like a regular Jade and it will be happy.

Last edited:

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like a Crassula Argentea Compacta to me, they have the smaller leaves. I have a few of them. Treat it like a regular Jade and it will be happy.
Thank you for the id!

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So C. Argentena Compacta and C. Ovata Minima are two names for the same thing?

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to Crazy!

Do you Play?

Strings are my thing! I love the Cello!

Sorce
Yes, cello is my profession. Bonsai is my hobby.

I've started a blog teaching cello technique, etc. at mycello1.blogspot.com.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful! I didn't expect you to be so young!

I love how the First thing I found is about breaking rules!

Breaking a Branch, or making any other wrong move, is quite like breaking a string. Even if you can't replace it, something beautiful can still be had!

Sorce

CelloBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wonderful! I didn't expect you to be so young!

I love how the First thing I found is about breaking rules!

Breaking a Branch, or making any other wrong move, is quite like breaking a string. Even if you can't replace it, something beautiful can still be had!

Sorce
Thanks for checking it out. I am sure I will break my fair share of branches, as well as rules!

I am a bit older than I look. I'll use that to my advantage some day, I'm sure. :)

Top Bottom