Crataegus X ???

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ABCarve Nice tree!

Only thing i noticed is the right trunk it goes straight up and makes a straight right turn in 90° as well that entire branch is fairly straight, you probably already know and there probably isnt a short term fix, what are your toughts about it?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve Nice tree!

Only thing i noticed is the right trunk it goes straight up and makes a straight right turn in 90° as well that entire branch is fairly straight, you probably already know and there probably isnt a short term fix, what are your toughts about it?
I like it just fine. I have no plans. Don’t guild the lily. But thanks for your observation as it keeps everyone thinking.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Had to chase this tree back a lot this year. Starting to really outgrow the silhouette and some branching getting too chubby with no taper. It hard to do when you know you're cutting off flower spurs. It'll be an interesting spring to see if I get back budding.

Before and after.

IMG_0883.jpegIMG_4445.JPG

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
OH boy am I enjoying your thread!! All the talk about the shape or pot but really what I find most important is in getting this tree to flower and fruit and how is the pruning incorparated to encourage this!! Please tell us after your 2 year of letting it grow unchecked how you are doing the pruning to keep it flowering ?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
OH boy am I enjoying your thread!! All the talk about the shape or pot but really what I find most important is in getting this tree to flower and fruit and how is the pruning incorparated to encourage this!! Please tell us after your 2 year of letting it grow unchecked how you are doing the pruning to keep it flowering ?
Post#43 kinda says it. The only thing missing is waiting for a flowering spur to develop and that’s where you are at the will of the hawthorn gods (ask @Brian Van Fleet ). What you explained to me in your DM about your pruning methods sounds pretty reasonable. The tree is now at a point where I have to prune off flowering spurs in order to keep the silhouette chased back.

IMG_1824.jpeg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree and progression. Do you still practice hedge-pruning/indiscriminate pruning on this tree for ramifiation purposes or do you just focus on setting up the flowering spurs?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Beautiful tree and progression. Do you still practice hedge-pruning/indiscriminate pruning on this tree for ramifiation purposes or do you just focus on setting up the flowering spurs?
I prune for the aesthetics of the tree in general. Can’t control the flowering part so the winter silhouette is the guide. Back-budding is always an issue for keeping the silhouette chased back.

Top Bottom