Crataegus X ???

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's an update on the repot. Since the pot went from 20" to 17" I had to remove mucho roots that came from the ends of the two large lateral roots. I'm letting it grow out this year (except the very top) to help grow some new ones. I'm not totally happy with the new pot. I can't put my finger on why, maybe it's still to big? I guess I'll have a number of years to work up something new.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 184

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing wrong with that pot at all, to me it is more the position of the tree. Myself I would move it about 2 inches to the left. If your letting it grow out anyways there is no reason to worry it until next time you repot. Nice healthy plant btw ;)

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nothing wrong with that pot at all, to me it is more the position of the tree. Myself I would move it about 2 inches to the left. If your letting it grow out anyways there is no reason to worry it until next time you repot. Nice healthy plant btw ;)

Grimmy

Moving it to the left would require chopping a bunch more of that lateral root....I should of taken a pic of it. They're buried under the sphagnum top dressing. I guess we could call it chasing back roots. We'll see what happens in a few years.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe its the S curve of the main trunk that keeps me thinking of OVAL.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's before leafing out.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 175

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think the pot is unique, clever in design, but too massive for the composition. I think a shallower-by-half, wider cream oval; bag shaped with feet, or just lipped, would suit it nicely. Great hawthorn. I'd also move it a bit to the left next time.

One last...when you photograph, bring the camera down just a touch and the photos will be better. If you just see a bit of soil and none of the back rim of the pot, you have the right level. Even that slight change may change the feeling of the pot's weight?

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I love the tree. This looks like a downy hawthorn, at least the leaves look very similar to the ones I have in my yard. Im with Brian on the pot. Its a nice pot but its a bit busy and heavy for me.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the pot is unique, clever in design, but too massive for the composition. I think a shallower-by-half, wider cream oval; bag shaped with feet, or just lipped, would suit it nicely. Great hawthorn. I'd also move it a bit to the left next time.

One last...when you photograph, bring the camera down just a touch and the photos will be better. If you just see a bit of soil and none of the back rim of the pot, you have the right level. Even that slight change may change the feeling of the pot's weight?

I think "too massive" is the right critique....shallower could be an issue unless I get my planer out (possible). I did run the roots through a band saw when I initially collected it. I tried a partial ground layer to get more roots in the front and back without success.
I'm not familiar with "bag shaped with feet". Got a pic??

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can see lots of examples if you google bag shaped bonsai pot. Here are a couple quick ones I lifted, the second one would actually look very nice under your lovely haw.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    2.4 KB · Views: 142
  • _MG_1987.jpg
    _MG_1987.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 159

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, that is a handsome pot you made there. I love it. In a couple years when a tree I have in mind gets to the point of deserving a contracted for pot, may I contact you? :)

Personally, I like blue pots, though the old pot is a "plain jane" as far as blue pots go. I like the glazes that shade from light to dark, in various patterns, not uniform in color. Particularly like glazes that are mostly dark blue with streaks of light blue in the color. I think blue compliments white flowers and white flowers with pink or red in them very nicely. It also compliments red fruit well. So blue in of itself is not a negative. "Boring Blue Pots" are a bit overused, but that is because so many "mass production grade" pots are done in this color that we get tired of seeing it.

The yellow brown color is nice, it will show well, and is understated enough that it will not overpower the tree when shown without fruit or flowers. This will work in a winter or summer display as well as the flower and fruit display times. Very nice.

Personal taste, and not a criticism. To my eye is almost too close to the color of the bark of the tree. I would have chosen a lighter shade of ochre, closer to off white or sand color than a brown, or alternately gone much darker. Though it will show very well. My taste is not everyone's taste.

But I really, really like the design, shape and curves in this pot. Very well done.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had not read all the way to the end, when I posted my comment. Yep, I agree, that the pot is a little too deep for the tree. My reaction to color would have been moderated if the pot was shallower. Of course, you have to deal with the reality of the roots this hawthorn has.

If I had the talent you have, I would design a new pot, essentially the same, with that lovely curve accent at the corners of the current pot. Only this time make it half an inch more shallow and make it 20 or 23 inches in length. In other words, design the pot to fit the roots you do have. This way you would have the room to set it more off center in the pot. The greater length would lessen the impression of the depth of the pot. I do love the figure at the corners. Neat design.

Took a class with Peter Tea, and one point made, was to avoid regrets, be absolutely brutal sawing off roots flat the first time you move a tree into a bonsai pot. Even if it means reducing the remaining root mass much more drastically that you would think safe to do. Of course then after care is everything. It does no good to lose the tree. So we always end up compromising. You may have to figure out how to chisel the root mass flatter the next time you repot. Mounding the soil is not usually a good solution.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow, that is a handsome pot you made there. I love it. In a couple years when a tree I have in mind gets to the point of deserving a contracted for pot, may I contact you? :)

Personally, I like blue pots, though the old pot is a "plain jane" as far as blue pots go. I like the glazes that shade from light to dark, in various patterns, not uniform in color. Particularly like glazes that are mostly dark blue with streaks of light blue in the color. I think blue compliments white flowers and white flowers with pink or red in them very nicely. It also compliments red fruit well. So blue in of itself is not a negative. "Boring Blue Pots" are a bit overused, but that is because so many "mass production grade" pots are done in this color that we get tired of seeing it.

The yellow brown color is nice, it will show well, and is understated enough that it will not overpower the tree when shown without fruit or flowers. This will work in a winter or summer display as well as the flower and fruit display times. Very nice.

Personal taste, and not a criticism. To my eye is almost too close to the color of the bark of the tree. I would have chosen a lighter shade of ochre, closer to off white or sand color than a brown, or alternately gone much darker. Though it will show very well. My taste is not everyone's taste.

But I really, really like the design, shape and curves in this pot. Very well done.

Thanks for the input Leo. I like blue, just not shiny blue, for that matter, shiny pots. In the ceramics world they call it "money blue". Drop me a note when you're ready!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well Brian.... I took your advice on the bag shape....I just put some wrinkles in the bag. Took a while to get it to fit the shallower pot.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 150

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well Brian.... I took your advice on the bag shape....I just put some wrinkles in the bag. Took a while to get it to fit the shallower pot.

Nice work! And that pot - phew! Thank you for sharing!

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Comboner!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree
Great pot