Crataegus X ???

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Something I've noticed from letting it grow out for 2 years. The spring buds that flower do not extend once the flowers are done. They simply start forming next years buds which will flower. Each year I get more and more flower buds and less extension buds. This pic is just after pruning off maybe 15 of those extension buds. Question for @Brian Van Fleet. Once a flowering bud, always a flower bud? or do they eventually revert back to extension bud?? or done pruning become less and less as it matures???

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 154

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I love it, the current pot is great.

Just as in Malus, when a flower spur forms it tends to remain a flower spur, and can be one for decades.

But if something changes the energy balance of the tree, there is a possibility that it will revert, or die off, and a dormant vegetative bud on the supporting branch could activate and take over.

As long as you keep the tree healthy, the flower spurs are fairly long lived.

With judicious pruning you can have a tree that is mostly blooming spurs. Not sure if that would be a long term stable goal, but if you have a show coming up, you could plan for it.

I really like how this tree is looking mature. Nicely done.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love it, the current pot is great.

Just as in Malus, when a flower spur forms it tends to remain a flower spur, and can be one for decades.

But if something changes the energy balance of the tree, there is a possibility that it will revert, or die off, and a dormant vegetative bud on the supporting branch could activate and take over.

As long as you keep the tree healthy, the flower spurs are fairly long lived.

With judicious pruning you can have a tree that is mostly blooming spurs. Not sure if that would be a long term stable goal, but if you have a show coming up, you could plan for it.

I really like how this tree is looking mature. Nicely done.
Thank you Leo.....that's very informative. I was wondering about that "long term goal". I didn't think that would be such a good idea to build ramification. I will keep observing.

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Wow! What a huge difference the last pot has made. The color shift to the warmer side of the spectrum just makes the trunk shine in summer and the fall foliage with that pot hits it out of the park! (Tip of the metaphor hat to game 5) Truly a superior piece of material that has been well grown and well staged.

This tree made me reread Kaizen blogpost of 6/6/17. http://wp.me/p4ijo9.MJ
Granted, Graham is describing UK conditions, but this tree is a testament to how much can be attained in a short time in cultivation.

As the tree ages with attendant ramification and nebari, I envision a more formal pot. Absolutely the same color as the present pot, but less rustic and textured. There is something in the busy-ness of the present pot that detracts from the gravitas of the presentation. It's still a jaw dropper, mind you, and my nit may just be a matter of personal taste. All in all, beautiful job! Well done, keep on keepin' on!!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice pot. I like it.

The tree is awesome! Only thing I might suggest is to consider removing the lowest right branch of the main trunk (cascading towards the smaller trunk). You can wire another branch to fill down a bit if you want.
Lte

Top Bottom