Crazy Roots on Brazilian Rain Tree

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I got this rain tree a year ago but had no information about its history or when it had last been repotted.

It's a thornless variety which is somewhat unusual or rare and grows on a profound slant. It's a good sized tree and it puts out beautiful little flowers. Lately it's been droopy during the day despite being in full sun here in Florida. There's no reason other than the roots needed attention of some kind.

Boy did they! I've never experienced repotting a tree like this. The 'smartest' thing I'd gotten for repots was a large tupperware container. It made clean up easy and I could rest the tree on a wet towel during the process when I took a break. I started with a root rake but then just used my fingers to tease the roots apart. I didn't have anyone with me but I still took some pics.

Attachments

• BRT 1.jpg
    BRT 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 36
  • BRT 2.jpg
    BRT 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 35
  • BRT 3.jpg
    BRT 3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 30
  • BRT 4.jpg
    BRT 4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 32

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow Katie looks like you don't have to bother with things like soil!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The substrate was in between the roots I was keeping and that took the longest to remove. I'm a patient person and I just took my time.

The thing I didn't understand and don't have a pic of is where the screen is? Underneath that the tap root must have removed a long time ago but in the exact size of the screen not a single root grew. It was like a buzz cut on a five year old. No growth at all. The pot is fairly small and maybe he didn't put enough soil in the pot.

I'm keeping it in the shade for the next week or so and today it's perky and happy...Acts like nothing happened. Those roots were dry as hay despite being heavily watered daily.

I don't have any way of knowing but I'm guessing it was more than three years since repotting...Maybe more? It's a good sized tree.

Top Bottom