Crazy Thoughts of a Bonsai Beginner

Kentucky Rick

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorce loves to use the catch phrase "Welcome to Crazy". I understand where he is coming with it now. I decided to jot down some of the crazy thoughts I have had starting out as a bonsai virgin. Feel free to share some of the things that make you wonder . . .

Why do I fee like a Poulan Pro with a dull chain?

Just buy used pots, its cheaper than buying new ones dirtied up with trees.

Where is the logic in “I want you to grow so bad so I can cut you back and make it look like you didn’t grow?”

Why don’t they sell Bonsai Superglue on the internet?

How can you tell when you have crossed the line between enthusiast and addict? Number of trees? Number of empty pots? Or is it a monetary value divided by time duration type of equation?

Its amazing that I can do so much damage to a $60 pre-bonsai when I can’t kill my $10 big box store juniper. Sure, it might look like a damaged corkscrew having a bad hair day, but it is still living and healthy and growing.

Maybe I can start a new business, “Pre-Bent Bonsai Wire for the Beginner”

Patience - Waiting for the water to boil in a kettle. Bonsai Patience - Waiting for the Dead Sea to evaporate.

You sure are wasting a lot of time killing that one.

I truly feel sorry for a bonsai enthusiast that is also an athletics coach. “Why do I have to keep a good performer on the bench?”

Being in construction all my life, I got to thinking, I have three trees now. I should probably have a greenhouse to winter these things in. Three days of designing one and I realized that my house cost about $35 per square foot to build. My greenhouse is about $42 per square foot without the electrical and plumbing. Crazy. A winter home for trees. Crazier still is that I will probably do it.

My daughter went to school to be a cosmetologist. That is all she ever wanted to be since she was a little girl. We convinced her to go to college, which only lasted one year and she failed miserably. So, we sent her to cosmetology school. She did fantastic. She got some dummy heads and wigs to practice on for school. Dress them up in hair and then cut it, style it, etc. Once she graduated, she began working on real people and is quite successful. Loves her job. Makes a living working about 6 hours a day. I never understood the satisfaction she got in using the dummy heads for target practice when we went out shooting one day until I started this hobby. (Sorry to those across the pond, as you don’t get to know that satisfaction in target practice.)​

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll Smoke some Blue Grass to that!

The only way this could be better is if you didn't reside in Kentucky.

Like Boston George in California.

But who would want to leave Kentucky anyway right?

Sorce

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I almost fell out of my chair at "you sure are wasting a lot of time killing that one. Someof these should be bonsai idioms for future generations. Great stuff. Almost yogi-isms. "I lost it in the moon" is my favorite of his btw

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some responses to the Crazy -

After you have done the onion crate bit [ wooden boxes ] go to Dalslas Bonsai and by some plastic
bonsai pots for the ----Refinement Stage --------- last stage.

Ground growing handles everything else. NO NEED TO SPENDEE DE MONEY $$$$$$$$$$
[ @sorce will explain our behaviour ----- hee hee hee ]

Bonsai is not an addiction ------------------- But a Love [ of Nature ]

Seed/cutting / airlayer - ground grow = no cost --------------- cheapee cheapee
60$ plant ---------- you must be nuts ---------------- 10$ and ground grow
Mamma didn't raise no Bonsai Idiot ------ thank you

Patience is for doing the things you don't like -------------- cleaning toilets.
Answer ----------- 300 bonsai victims, sit and wait on that nuh ...........

Greenhouse -------- step one, move to a Tropical Island [ that is Hurricane free ]
Step 2 ground grow.
Step 3 refine.

Yes, K's sister wanted to be a Hairdresser in the 70's.
His dad sent her to Secretarial School.
Ended up outside school having fun.

At Hairdressing school and later Vidal Sassons ----------- viola --------
BIG BUSINESS success !!!!!!!!!!!!
Packed the streets with customers, even the picky ones.
Good Day
Anthony :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):eek::rolleyes:

*I kid thee not **

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Sorce
I've left a number of times , but I always come back

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

I truly feel sorry for a bonsai enthusiast that is also an athletics coach. “Why do I have to keep a good performer on the bench?”

That's good one mate.

Sorce
What's wrong with Kentucky @sorce?

Kentucky Rick

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Exactly, we have a few things going for us. Hatfields and McCoys, largest hand blown stained glass window in the world, and the bar that was owned/run by the old outlaw Jesse James' mother and don't forget, Bourbon. Who can ask for more. Oh yeah, 50% forested in hardwoods which makes for a great autumn color show.

Kentucky Rick

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Some responses to the Crazy -

After you have done the onion crate bit [ wooden boxes ] go to Dalslas Bonsai and by some plastic
bonsai pots for the ----Refinement Stage --------- last stage.

Ground growing handles everything else. NO NEED TO SPENDEE DE MONEY $$$$$$$$$$
[ @sorce will explain our behaviour ----- hee hee hee ]

Bonsai is not an addiction ------------------- But a Love [ of Nature ]

Seed/cutting / airlayer - ground grow = no cost --------------- cheapee cheapee
60$ plant ---------- you must be nuts ---------------- 10$ and ground grow
Mamma didn't raise no Bonsai Idiot ------ thank you

Patience is for doing the things you don't like -------------- cleaning toilets.
Answer ----------- 300 bonsai victims, sit and wait on that nuh ...........

Greenhouse -------- step one, move to a Tropical Island [ that is Hurricane free ]
Step 2 ground grow.
Step 3 refine.

Yes, K's sister wanted to be a Hairdresser in the 70's.
His dad sent her to Secretarial School.
Ended up outside school having fun.

At Hairdressing school and later Vidal Sassons ----------- viola --------
BIG BUSINESS success !!!!!!!!!!!!
Packed the streets with customers, even the picky ones.
Good Day
Anthony :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):eek::rolleyes:

*I kid thee not **

OMG. Anthony, I think you must be as twisted as I am. So it is a tropical paradise where you live, and I do envy you for your growing environment. But I just gotta make one one comparison. Here in Kentucky, just about all of us are college basketball fans. Why not, two very respectable teams, UK Wildcats, second only to UCLA in National Titles, and the Cardinals in Louisville. But just can't quite bring myself to cheering on a cricket team called the "Windies". That is a slang term for us for farting. I do have to admit the closest university to me is Morehead State (the only claim to fame being NFL Quarterback Phil Simms), but its always fun to go to the games and watch the cheerleaders chanting "More Head". I volunteer every time. LOL. :D:D:D:D

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Kentucky Rick

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA..................................................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't know what to say :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Great Day
Anthony

* Term means the same down here and we had a dog that blew --------- mighty windies as my sis said it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Morehead State (the only claim to fame being NFL Quarterback Phil Simms)

I'd find a way to put Phil in my Top Ten QB's......working man's Tom Brady. ;):D:D:D:D Gutsy over-achiever.:cool::cool::cool:

cheerleaders chanting "More Head".

The enthusiasm of youth!!!:cool::cool::cool: The reality of our seniority....:(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Keep your sense of humor and have fun!:)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I might add . . .

Practice makes perfect and the the more you do something the better you get at it. I'm getting really really good at killing trees. I'm kind of the BTK for trees.

My first yamadori attempt, I styled that sucker with a chainsaw! How come I never see a bonsai video featuring a Stihl?

Top Bottom