Creating a Flared Base on a Ficus

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share a technique with you all that I do to all of my Ficus cuttings. I open the base by cutting it and flaring it out. This allows the roots to sprout from the inside of the cutting and kind of flare outwards as it grows. The flaps will in turn thicken and created a nice, flared base later down the road. So here we go.

Step one, start with a cutting:
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Next, using a knife, I slowly and carefully cut the base into quarters:
006.JPG

I then open the sections up a bit:
007.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Then, using small pieces of wood, I wedge open the base:
010.JPG
009.JPG
011.JPG

I then plant it, and we're ready to roll:
012.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This cutting has thrown roots, but I'll leave the cutting until I really see some roots going all around the pot. I'll then repot and straighten out the roots and let the cutting grown for another few months.

002.JPG

Here's the tree that cutting came off of:
004.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My little shohin in the making (the tree the cutting came off of) is coming along fast.

024.JPG

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ryan do you have any trees from previous years that have gone thru the "plus trunk" split? Curious to see how the splits fill in with roots, etc.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan do you have any trees from previous years that have gone thru the "plus trunk" split? Curious to see how the splits fill in with roots, etc.

I don't, as I just recently (within the last year) started doing this technique, so there really aren't any results to show. However, the thread I got this idea from:

http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6717&start=150

Has a picture of what can happen. You can't see the pictures without registering, so here's one from that thread:
fb.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I forgot all about this, but I have a couple of ficus that I would like to try this on. Any update on your tree, Ryan?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
KennedyMarx,

ask how well the underneath section heals, so you don't end up with decay going up inside of the tree.
Good Evening.
Anthony

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nothing new on the one that I worked on in this thread, but this does remind me that I have to repot the others I've done this too. So I'll probably do that this weekend and see what has happened.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very good technique. It's things like this that make this site a good source for bonsai.

The wood you use to keep the split separated... You remove that on the repot? Wood like that tends to rot pretty quick when in soil. Also, what about using pieces of wire, maybe aluminum, instead of the wood sticks. In difficult cases, you probably could just leave the wire in because it wouldn't harm the tree.

Rob

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very good technique. It's things like this that make this site a good source for bonsai.

The wood you use to keep the split separated... You remove that on the repot? Wood like that tends to rot pretty quick when in soil. Also, what about using pieces of wire, maybe aluminum, instead of the wood sticks. In difficult cases, you probably could just leave the wire in because it wouldn't harm the tree.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I like it.

As to the wood, you can remove it upon repot, as by that time the wedges are stuck in their position. I'm sure you can use anything really, so long as it holds the wedges in place.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have no updates, just wanted to show the cutting that I did this technique to today.
001.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So I repotted one of the natalensis cuttings I did this technique to over a year ago. It's looking pretty good.

Fugly tree, but decent start to a good base:
natbase (1 of 1).jpg
natbase (1 of 1)-2.jpg
natbase (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Top Bottom