Creating a raft

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there nuts!
This year i got gifted a couple big beech (fagus silvatica) tree's from a hedge planting they were gifted by @Tentakelaertje :D

Now i got this big one wich i was wondering what to do with it (when its recovered)
At first my toughts were to airlayer the top out to create a powerfull tree but then i tought i saw a Nice raft in there too
20171227_100330.jpg

And on its side raft style:
20171227_100330.jpg

Now i know how to airlayer but i am wondering on how i could get it to root allong the laying downside to make a raft from it
Im hopeing anyone here knows how to aproach something like this !

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi there nuts!
This year i got gifted a couple big beech (fagus silvatica) tree's from a hedge planting they were gifted by @Tentakelaertje :D

Now i got this big one wich i was wondering what to do with it (when its recovered)
At first my toughts were to airlayer the top out to create a powerfull tree but then i tought i saw a Nice raft in there too
View attachment 172327

And on its side raft style:
View attachment 172328

Now i know how to airlayer but i am wondering on how i could get it to root allong the laying downside to make a raft from it
Im hopeing anyone here knows how to aproach something like this !

Hi @defra
Just saw this post and thought I would add my instant non-thought out thoughts lol.
1. First problem with both ideas is that Fagus very RARELY roots from cuttings, if you try. So the air-layer thing is probably “pushing the proverbial up that hill”
2. I struggle to see a raft if you can’t get any roots under or close to that point of the trunk.

However, lol, I could be wrong, others may advise you differently, so yeah, best of luck.
Oh, just a passing thought, I wonder if thread grafting new low branches onto the great trunk might give you some different options.
Charles

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is how it's done http://bonsaibark.com/2015/08/16/going-rafting-on-sinuous-roots/ and I did it successfully with a chinese liguster a year ago. I have no experience with AL fagus.

Interesting thnx allot
Since its such a big thing i am wondering instead of laying it down in a box wich kinda is impossible imo if i could cut the "windows" and pack those up with spaghmum mos to get the roots forming were i want them then theres the question how fagus roots when being airlayered

@KiwiPlantGuy
The lower part is big but taperless straight and alittle unintresting imo

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting thnx allot
Since its such a big thing i am wondering instead of laying it down in a box wich kinda is impossible imo if i could cut the "windows" and pack those up with spaghmum mos to get the roots forming were i want them then theres the question how fagus roots when being airlayered

@KiwiPlantGuy
The lower part is big but taperless straight and alittle unintresting imo
Yes, it's an equivalent. BTW uncle Google says yes and gives some examples of Fagus sylvatica air-layering.

Reaction score
I did layer several species. Fagus did not produce uniform results or roots. But they all did at some point. Lay it down in a box and do a layering sidewise. When roots are established remove the board from the original roots and let them dry out. Nice project.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How about grafting roots on also sounds like a interesting way to get roots were i want them?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Creative, I like it. I bet you can just lay it down sideways, scar it, and bury it in the dirt. Leave the original root mass on of course. I am sure some roots will pop within a year.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking to let the tree grow this year cus its been ripped out of the ground at the end of august 2017 and it needs to regrow the roots to recover but then i tought of it this way:

In nature a tree gets blown down by a storm causing it to be ripped of mosth of the roots and grows on as a raft and forms new roots on the trunk now laying on the ground.... so now i wonder if upcoming season is the best time to stimulate it to let it regrow the roots on the future laying down side?

I am realy curious about your oppinions regarding the timing on starting to create this raft

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
have a full picture? I love beech

Me too! And yes I do have a full pic
this pic is after i put it in this box in august
IMG-20170830-WA0004.jpg

i got 4 more one a little larger than this one wich i placed back in the ground and 3 smaller ones i potted up in nursery cans each will get a seperate topic in spring when i know if they all survived if i remember i will let you know by then!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think the first step would be to air layer under the first branch, has potential to be a decent tree from the first branch up i think. ive no experience air layering, this might help you

i believe there is a follow up vid, kind of similar to your tree
if that works i guess you could begin tilting the tree and scratching underside of the bark for a future raft

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i think the first step would be to air layer under the first branch, has potential to be a decent tree from the first branch up i think. ive no experience air layering, this might help you

i believe there is a follow up vid, kind of similar to your tree
if that works i guess you could begin tilting the tree and scratching underside of the bark for a future raft

Thnx bobby!
The video even is in my language :D
If the Airlayering works f it would make it way easyer to put ut down on its side
To be continued... :D

Top Bottom