Creating a twisted trunk in a juniper...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But zip ties don't expand right?

Correct...it also do not cut flow like a rubberband does. You may need to replace it but very likely that the branch/trunk is set before and you just need to remove the zip tie.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Do you mean without wrapping the wire around the tree? Good idea!
I just bend the wire the way I want the tree to look like....bottom end of the wire is stuck in the soil...Take a rubber band (from bundle of money) Tie it to lower end of the tree and start winding it around the tree and the wire at the same time...so the tree follows the wire...the rubber does not cut into the tree as it grows...You can also use wire instead of the rubber band...used on soft wood cuttings.
Rubber bands are flexible......they stretch as the tree grows and disintegrate eventually.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...Take a rubber band (from bundle of money)

Thats where I get my rubber bands too....

(An extra tip...use the money to build a small fire for annealing the copper wire. Waste not, want not....)

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Thats where I get my rubber bands too....

(An extra tip...use the money to build a small fire for annealing the copper wire. Waste not, want not....)
He he he! Darling....in some african countries you go to the bank with a van full of money to buy loaf of bread...so some time they are cheaper to use than fire wood. We were like until last year, when they removed 3 zeros at the end of every note.
1024px-Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

http://shelf3d.com/Search/Uploaded by houseofthemoon
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703730804576314953091790360

zimbabwean-money-billboard.jpg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anybody have an updated link to THIS post? Does the blog author have this content hosted elsewhere?

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like twisted trunks in trees that can be done and end up looking great. I have Ponderosa pies that are four years old and are very twisty. I wired then at two years
with raffia wire left it on for two years in the same pot that they were grown without being wired to the pot. They are all doing great waiting for spring candle pruning
About 5 inches high now and very green. medium length needles. Sorry no pictures as I still don;'t know how to get them in this message/

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like twisted trunks in trees that can be done and end up looking great. I have Ponderosa pies that are four years old and are very twisty. I wired then at two years
with raffia wire left it on for two years in the same pot that they were grown without being wired to the pot. They are all doing great waiting for spring candle pruning
About 5 inches high now and very green. medium length needles. Sorry no pictures as I still don;'t know how to get them in this message/
I use this tab. It will open photos up either on your desktop or on ones cellphone. Hope that helps. Would love to see them.
Screenshot_20200205-184534.png

Top Bottom