Creating movement in JM sapling

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I have a little JM sapling I started from seed last year, so far its just a small (7") perfectly straight pole. It has no side branches as of yet, it also has zero interesting movement. Would it be too small to do something with? It's in a pot right now but it will be going in the ground this spring.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can definitely throw some wire on it and put some bends/curves in the trunk, but be careful...once you put it in the ground it will start growing much faster and that trunk will swell up and before you know it...you can easily get wire scars.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can definitely throw some wire on it and put some bends/curves in the trunk, but be careful...once you put it in the ground it will start growing much faster and that trunk will swell up and before you know it...you can easily get wire scars.

Yes I agree with Chris. I would add that when you introduce some bends/curves to your tree, exaggerate them and make them obvious. As the tree thickens and grows, the curves will eventually soften. If they are too subtle, they will pretty much disappear later on.

Top Bottom