Creating Movement

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm familiar with the concept of wiring and similar methods of bending trunk and branches, but is it a viable option to either pot the tree at an angle or keep the entire pot at an angle? I'm assuming the tree will attempt to grow vertically in that scenario. If it's common for people to do that, is it a good way to create movement in a trunk that is perhaps too stiff to wire?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I learned to chop low and plant at an angle. The tree I learned on had a low branch…a small and thin branch. I cut back to that branch and planted it back at an angle that made the small branch near vertical, but not fully vertical, while the original trunk set at quite an angle. I pruned the roots to work with the new trunk angle. It worked well.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm familiar with the concept of wiring and similar methods of bending trunk and branches, but is it a viable option to either pot the tree at an angle or keep the entire pot at an angle? I'm assuming the tree will attempt to grow vertically in that scenario. If it's common for people to do that, is it a good way to create movement in a trunk that is perhaps too stiff to wire?
To create the trunk line movement, I love to use both techniques: wiring-bending and cutting-growing.
Please look at these tree's trunk lines.
8B8184AD-130D-4103-9453-16BA7C3C6F8E.jpeg CB3B8065-47C9-4297-9D7E-2EE5062F5FCC.jpeg C3CCC4C3-DDB5-4163-BD3D-7336FFFCDE73-2.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

If you have a straight, thick trunk that can not be bent with wire, you will always have a straight trunk. Trunks, once they put down layers of hard wood wont bend to the light.
The best scenario with this is to either design a formal upright (not easy to do convincingly apparently) or chop the tree to a lower branch and try to do something with that.

Just be careful not to make a tree with 6 inches of straight trunk that suddenly curves into something else. It wont make for a convincing picture generally.

You create movement in younger trunks by wiring them when they are small enough to do so and let them grow out that way.

Top Bottom