Creating prebonsai stock

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I collected cuttings all over (in my yard mostly) I have about +/-200 cuttings of different cuttings consisting of : bougainvillea, kumquat, elephant bush, dwarf pomegranate, white stinkwood, sweet thorn, common quince, jacaranda, orange. They are mostly softwood cuttings and are watered with willow water. About 20% of them have new growth, and thus hopefully root nodules. The idea is to have a good supply of pre-bonsai over the next year or so. Even if it takes me the next decade or so to train and grow them - I enjoy it immensely and will gladly wait. What do you think?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Starting bonsai from scratch is a great thing. It may take a while but all the work is totally yours. You can accept all the praise for the good ones (but also responsibility for any that don't quite work as planned). I grow almost all of my stock from seed or cuttings.
I hope you have plenty of space. These are soon going to go into pots and not long after that will need larger pots, not to mention the potting mix, watering and fertiliser.
You may soon notice that some have better characteristics for bonsai than others - better trunk angle, better roots, branching in better locations. keep the better ones and sell off the ones you don't like so much or give them away at club meetings or shows. A few less will allow you to concentrate more on the good ones and they then get even better as a result of the extra attention.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Starting bonsai from scratch is a great thing. It may take a while but all the work is totally yours. You can accept all the praise for the good ones (but also responsibility for any that don't quite work as planned). I grow almost all of my stock from seed or cuttings.
I hope you have plenty of space. These are soon going to go into pots and not long after that will need larger pots, not to mention the potting mix, watering and fertiliser.
You may soon notice that some have better characteristics for bonsai than others - better trunk angle, better roots, branching in better locations. keep the better ones and sell off the ones you don't like so much or give them away at club meetings or shows. A few less will allow you to concentrate more on the good ones and they then get even better as a result of the extra attention.
Many thanks for your advise.
I took over the scullery. Put in some shelves, and try to use it as my greenhouse for propagation mainly. I also have some seedling coming up, I experiment with various cutting propagation methods. Then I also built an east facing stand with cinder blocks and pallet wood. I do a bit of carpentry and built a few simple training pots/boxes. Just eagerly waiting for stock.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Soon your place is going to be cluttered, full of growing plants.
I'm dealing with that right now. I went from a couple dozen plants to a couple hundred quite fast. That's what happens when you sow a lot of seeds..
Be mentally prepared to cull the herd twice a year. To me, that selection is the hard part. It's hard to tell yourself a plant isn't worth the time.
Next year I'll start individual potting and selling. But since I have a lack of space I'm not really sure if that's going to work well. I have 200+ seedlings all needing floor space.

One thing to keep in mind that might come in handy later, is to pick species that are hard to obtain - but still do well - in your area. I have a couple hundred ponderosa pine seedlings and some harder to obtain material like non-hybrid chinese junipers. In 5-10 years I expect to do some nice trades, since they're pretty hard to get around here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are in South Africa, you have a number of Diospyros species native to your area, or a little north of you. A few have nice small leaves and make great bonsai. Look for Jackal berry. There are at least 6 different Diospyros with small leaves in southern Africa. (not necessarily SA, but generally).

2 or 3 are in SA.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Try miracle berry as well while you're at it! Those could make very good bonsai if you're in the right climate which I'm not. If memory serves me right, they should do very well in SA.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two situations to observe.

[ 1 ] length of branch needed to add on 2.5 cm to the trunk.

[ 2 ] is the branch, a side branch or from top of the tree.

If possible ground grow.

Repeatedly cut down toi 8 cm tall or less.
Gives the trunk personality.
Experiment.

If when you reach say a trunk of 6 cm and you want
8 cm slow down and transfer to a pot.

You can with experience add on the 2 side branches ,
the back branch and 3 more branches in the ground before
harvesting.
Experiment.

Time taken can be 1 year, to 2 to 5 years.
Good Day
Anthony

* Always ask Forestry for maximum growth for the year,
distances from other trees needed and soil / fertiliser
requirements.

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Ryan, seems you and I are on a similar trajectory with regards to this. I started collecting a year ago and now have hundreds of cuttings and prebonsai acquired by similar means as you...

Please join a club in your area of possible, It seems the Cape region has a lot more interest in bonsai than here in Joburg. I've learnt craploads about keeping trees alive, and I've really bumped up my collection via raffles and fund raisers.

Diospyros trees are a great shout for bonsai. I'm sure you've come across them, @Leo in N E Illinois is correct, there are a few species indigenous to SA and growers typically just call them bladdernut or jakkalsbessie, and they grow relatively fast. I've seen quite a few used as hedges over here (I've got 3 in training :cool:).

I think you'd probably fall in a winter rainfall zone if you're in the karoo? If you don't have it already, get yourself sandroos. Great bark on young trees, easily propagated, small leaves, and amazing little flowers throughout spring, and water wise.

In my experience, and confirmed by almost everyone at my club, don't bother trying to propagate ANY Acacia (or Senegalia now that the Aussies stole the name for their indigenous wattle trees) other than by seed. It just won't work for me at all. I've kept sticks alive for months with no sign of roots.

What's really fun is spekboom. I've propagated so many I don't know what to do with them. Now I've got small pots filled with them in my lounge, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Ryan, seems you and I are on a similar trajectory with regards to this. I started collecting a year ago and now have hundreds of cuttings and prebonsai acquired by similar means as you...

Please join a club in your area of possible, It seems the Cape region has a lot more interest in bonsai than here in Joburg. I've learnt craploads about keeping trees alive, and I've really bumped up my collection via raffles and fund raisers.

Diospyros trees are a great shout for bonsai. I'm sure you've come across them, @Leo in N E Illinois is correct, there are a few species indigenous to SA and growers typically just call them bladdernut or jakkalsbessie, and they grow relatively fast. I've seen quite a few used as hedges over here (I've got 3 in training :cool:).

I think you'd probably fall in a winter rainfall zone if you're in the karoo? If you don't have it already, get yourself sandroos. Great bark on young trees, easily propagated, small leaves, and amazing little flowers throughout spring, and water wise.

In my experience, and confirmed by almost everyone at my club, don't bother trying to propagate ANY Acacia (or Senegalia now that the Aussies stole the name for their indigenous wattle trees) other than by seed. It just won't work for me at all. I've kept sticks alive for months with no sign of roots.

What's really fun is spekboom. I've propagated so many I don't know what to do with them. Now I've got small pots filled with them in my lounge, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.
Thanks for your reply.. Unfortunately, no clubs here. The closest bonsai grower is +/-200km away. Although I have heard of one or two guys in town that dabbled in it years ago. I might get in contact with them, but for the most part - it is me and the internet. I have spent hours, no......... days researching and learned quite a lot. I always keep my eyes peeled for anything interesting - flower or fruit baring but never came across the species you mentioned.
I have looked them up on wiki and would like to add them to my collection. Sandroos looks like something that I would like to add to my collection as well..I have a Woestynroos though.
I have a few Vachellia karroo or sweet thorn that I managed to propagate from cuttings - acasia species. Spekboom I have quite a lot of myself. They propagate flippen easy, also dwarf or wild pomegranate.

Say, would you be interested in trade. I can offer the following. I strictly want to trade one-for-one. Maybe some might grow in your area. We can make use of Pargo. I have only recently discovered them. What a good service. I ordered some things almost from the other side of the country and received it in three days! So if we wrap cuttings in moist papertowels.. If you are interested send me a list of what you can offer and we can get the ball rolling..

smilezzz

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply.. Unfortunately, no clubs here. The closest bonsai grower is +/-200km away. Although I have heard of one or two guys in town that dabbled in it years ago. I might get in contact with them, but for the most part - it is me and the internet. I have spent hours, no......... days researching and learned quite a lot. I always keep my eyes peeled for anything interesting - flower or fruit baring but never came across the species you mentioned.
I have looked them up on wiki and would like to add them to my collection. Sandroos looks like something that I would like to add to my collection as well..I have a Woestynroos though.
I have a few Vachellia karroo or sweet thorn that I managed to propagate from cuttings - acasia species. Spekboom I have quite a lot of myself. They propagate flippen easy, also dwarf or wild pomegranate.

Say, would you be interested in trade. I can offer the following. I strictly want to trade one-for-one. Maybe some might grow in your area. We can make use of Pargo. I have only recently discovered them. What a good service. I ordered some things almost from the other side of the country and received it in three days! So if we wrap cuttings in moist papertowels.. If you are interested send me a list of what you can offer and we can get the ball rolling..

That sounds like a plan. There's a pick up not too far off from me.

We've just had our first rains here this evening, so if the weather clears up tomorrow I'll make a round in the yard and see if I'm missing anything, but off the top of my head, with cuttings in mind:

Natal plum itches like hell when the thorns scratch you, I'm considering letting them just grow into a hedge on my boundary, this seems to like a slightly wetter medium than a lot of the others when propagating.

Serissa tree of 1000 stars variety
Serissa strike really easy on any type of medium I use.

Japanese honeysuckle
Dwarf honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle

All three apparently strike really easily, but from my experience, cape honeysuckle really hates a water retentive medium. River sand seems to work best for it. Might be because cape honeysuckle isn't really a honeysuckle.

Japanese maple I've yet to get this right, although it's supposedly easy

Rosemary officianalis you've got to try it, it makes amazing shohin bonsai, summer's really well ANY medium.

Westringia also known as coastal rosemary, but not actually related to rosemary, very unconventional training needed, you'll probably have to break almost every bonsai styling rule to get it to look like a bonsai. Its throws out elongated shoots which twist and turn every which way. It's natural growth is very bushy and tangled, but if you keep the lower trunk clean, its it's well worth it from what I've seen

Australian Brush Cherry very popular as a hedge or pom pom in the front garden. Leaves reduce a lot when in bonsai training, but wire branches at your own risk. I had some wire on for less than 3 months on the epex and it almost grew around it. I considered cutting it off, but I reasoned that it grows so quickly that it will hopefully disappear soon. I've seen amazing stuff at my club by Jan Naude (40+ years of experience, he's got some of the most amazing celtis and eugenia/syzigiums I've ever seen)

Wild Olive Roots quickly in river sand. I've seen great specimens, although I'm not the biggest fan of the species.

Sandroos I've just recently bought 2 of these for R30 each. They're about 2cm thick at the base, so I'm definitely grounding them as soon as I can to fatten them up. Had them for about a month, but they've been throwing out a lot of growth. Word on the streets is that they love container life

All of these are relatively quick growing, and produce either rough, textured bark, or flaky bark within a year or two, depending where you grow them (ground, training pot, bag, small pot).

Slower to propagate are my juniper procumbens nanas, thuja and a Chinese cedar that I can't remember the full name of.

I've also got 4 different type of ficus which root like weeds (I've rooted Natal fig from a single leaf every time I tried) Fever trees, monkey thorn and black monkey thorns, but I've had absolutely no luck propagating them. Members at my club say the same, so for you to root an acacia cutting is really something special man.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thing to keep in mind is to work the roots. Nothing worse than growing out a tree for 10 years, lifting it from the pot or growing bed to see .. 2 fat roots and nothing else.
Also.. When you do trimming, make clean cuts and take care of them. I have a few ruined trees with great nebari..

Today I spent a few hours in my growing bed cleaning up some of my stock..

Top Bottom