Creating Ramification on Tropical Trees

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm looking for a guide to creating ramification on a tropical or deciduous tree. Where do you prune to, when do you do it?
I'm only familiar with Portulacaria Afra (Dwarf Jade) where you can trim back a branch to the first pair of leaves and it will sprout (2) new branches.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It depends a lot on which type of tree. Can you give more specifics on what you are working with?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a standard answer.

Then there is the coupling of that standard answer to the proportions of your trunks, branches, lengths, previous ramification, etc.etc.

Timing will be seasonal and aesthetical.

Sorce

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
There is a standard answer.

Then there is the coupling of that standard answer to the proportions of your trunks, branches, lengths, previous ramification, etc.etc.

Timing will be seasonal and aesthetical.

Sorce
What's the standard answer?
What you're saying makes sense, since I'm sure it depends on how thick/hard a branch is before you want to cut it back to be sure it lives or to look correct.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the standard answer?
What you're saying makes sense, since I'm sure it depends on how thick/hard a branch is before you want to cut it back to be sure it lives or to look correct.

"Cut back to two."

You get it.

I don't think Bougie has any weird quirks.

Flower allowance may be worth considering.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They bloom on new growth.

When do you stop pruning to allow for flowers?

I haven't gotten into these cycles, but I know there are some you cut after or before... sometime...does that apply to Bougie too?

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
When do you stop pruning to allow for flowers?

I haven't gotten into these cycles, but I know there are some you cut after or before... sometime...does that apply to Bougie too?

Sorce
I have one that's growing pretty crazy pants, I'll probably prune this weekend. The pruning will stimulate new growth = flowers.

Top Bottom