Creeping fig vine

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Make your container large enough to hold the roots but small enough to move. Most novice collectors underestimate the size of the pot required and the weight of tree, pot and soil. An oversized pot will give it a much better chance of recovery than a really small bonsai type pot. There's plenty of time to get it into a good pot if it survives the transplant. Most of us let collected trees recover for a few years after transplant before starting more pruning or design work. Collected trees are not instant bonsai. They are still multi year projects.

There's no real rush to get it into a pot. The tree will survive quite well if you just bury the roots or leave it to soak in a tub of water for a day or 2 while you sort out the best size and shape. As mentioned earlier I usually cut long roots at transplant to get my collected trees into reasonable sized pots. New roots will grow just as well from a root cut close to the trunk as they will from a long root but leave some smaller feeders closer to the trunk if there are any.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Make your container large enough to hold the roots but small enough to move. Most novice collectors underestimate the size of the pot required and the weight of tree, pot and soil. An oversized pot will give it a much better chance of recovery than a really small bonsai type pot. There's plenty of time to get it into a good pot if it survives the transplant. Most of us let collected trees recover for a few years after transplant before starting more pruning or design work. Collected trees are not instant bonsai. They are still multi year projects.

There's no real rush to get it into a pot. The tree will survive quite well if you just bury the roots or leave it to soak in a tub of water for a day or 2 while you sort out the best size and shape. As mentioned earlier I usually cut long roots at transplant to get my collected trees into reasonable sized pots. New roots will grow just as well from a root cut close to the trunk as they will from a long root but leave some smaller feeders closer to the trunk if there are any.
Well today was a lot of work. I dug it up using a hand shovel and pruners and carefully went underneath and on the sides cutting as I went. After three hours it was free. Soil was wet the whole time. Washed the roots and pruned what taproots there were to fit it in this Rubbermaid I had around I drilled holes in and set it up on some redwood I had laying around. When should I fertilize? It’s unders a shaded pergola and gets maybe a freckle or two if sun late in the day. I’m using a couple gallons of bonsai soil mixed with citrus/succulent blend. Should I trim the top right branch? I put wound care on all the cuts above the soil. The wire cage is for keeping the dogs nose out…0BB9F15B-3A1B-42B2-93EB-798EC34F5C3D.jpeg

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Last question folks…how long till I know if this worked ? New growth in a month or a few weeks?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Transplant can be a big job - usually underestimated first few times.
Looks like a really neat job. I'd say it has as good a chance as any.
Wet roots is not actually necessary. Many of my transplants are carried in the back of a tray truck, sometimes exposed to air for hours before repotting. Quicker is better but it takes surprisingly long time for roots to be affected by air, sun or dry.

I would shorten the long branch. it has reverse taper and is too long above the great curl. Take care not to do further damage to the roots while pruning. If you can't cut clean without disturbance just leave it on and cut back next year. Bonsai was not built in a day so a year is nothing.

Generally don't bother to fertilize until there is growth. roots can't accept fertilizer and leaves cannot process anything so no need for nutrients yet.

New shoots are unpredictable. Sometimes a few weeks but often longer. I waited 6 months for one collected olive to produce new shoots. You have done everything you can. Just cross fingers and continue care.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Agree with everything Shibui said. In warm temperatures, ficus usually put out new growth fairly fast. I love the "frozen ducks" label!

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks again folks. I really appreciate the help on this. I will update in a few weeks if I see anything! And yeah that bin was used to transport 24 scaup and teal I harvested in Canada hunting a few years back - kinda funny to repurpose that bin :)

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Well an update is in order - it lives! Thanks to this place it is now showing some growth. Here is a couple pics. It’s the top left branch…and I cut the long bit off the top right a few weeks ago when I potted it.AD62E3D7-D0AF-45DA-AA72-454D48BDCE96.jpegF078CD6C-3B81-4F6D-BFD7-D07272D11F2C.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
New shoots is a good sign but does not assure survival. Many species can produce new shoots from the resources stored in the trunk. If it does not produce roots the shoots, and the tree, are doomed but being a ficus I would be optimistic.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well an update is in order - it lives! Thanks to this place it is now showing some growth. Here is a couple pics. It’s the top left branch…and I cut the long bit off the top right a few weeks ago when I potted it.View attachment 392481View attachment 392482
You are likely seeing success but don't rush putting it in the sun or rolling back aftercare.
This is an interesting little plant. I used to see them along the coast and liked how they grew up walls so I grabbed a few sprigs and I planted some here at my house just south of Atlanta. It has thrived. I have to keep it cut back or it would cover my house. I also use it as an underplanting in none bonsai pots. It is a tough plant and tolerates a wide ranges of conditions.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Typical of ficus that are mainly apical dominant. Leave it to grow the way it wants until there is plenty of strong growth to feed new roots below - 6 months to a year if it does well. When you are confident the roots are doing well the vigorous shoots can be cut back hard which will allow the weaker ones to develop more and may even stimulate some more new shoots lower down. Key for now is just to make sure it gets over the trauma of transplant. Plenty of time to convince it to do what you want later.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This thread shocks me. In central Florida many consider this plant the devil after they've planted it. Once you plant it it's almost impossible to get rid of. It's used as both a ground cover and to cover walls and entire homes. People don't realize how invasive it is. It grows incredibly fast and is difficult to kill. We had it on a wall and it wrapped itself around the trunk of a healthy orange tree. I hired a teenager to come everyday after school to take it off the tree and dig it up. It wouldn't die and finally killed the orange tree.

My husband recently took it off a wall and is doing his best to keep it off. It has climbed a pine tree several stories high on our neighbors yard and the neighbor just lets it grow. The pine tree is near death. I never liked the pine but I'm concerned about which direction it will fall.

I'm just shocked to think of it as a bonsai but am learning that any plant can be turned into a bonsai.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
My “invasive” plant is pumping out the growth. Starting to look like a plant! Maybe next summer a new pot :)29551CA7-80A4-4093-8656-21075B53EF6C.jpeg

Top Bottom