Creepy 17yr Cicadas everywhere

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nasty lil buggers everywhere. Looking for the DIS-Like button?

Attachments

• IMG_20160526_085048838.jpg
    IMG_20160526_085048838.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20160526_085040702.jpg
    IMG_20160526_085040702.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20160524_083445386.jpg
    IMG_20160524_083445386.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nasty lil buggers everywhere. Looking for the DIS-Like button?
Glad you have them and not us. Havnt seen a one yet this year but I'm sure I will before too long. I remember as a kid one year it was so bad you couldn't walk outside without getting swarmed by them. By the way how's the noise, I know they can get pretty loud.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep them away from your bonsai. They lay their eggs inside a branch. That branch literally bursts open when the eggs hatch, ruining it. That gaping wound don't grow over either. Nasty Nasty critters for a bonsai tree !!! :eek:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We should get em soonish.

Sorce

Yeah we've got a lot but in the trees, at least I never saw them all over the yard like that. But may be it's normally like that but I haven't been here long enough to see them :)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure if we get the same ones, probably not, but they should start up fairly soon too. Remember seeing quite a few and hearing many more but not in that many numbers.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure if we get the same ones, probably not, but they should start up fairly soon too. Remember seeing quite a few and hearing many more but not in that many numbers.
There are hundreds of cicada species, most of which are just around all the time in their natural habitats. Then, there are some species that are periodic - they emerge every (usually prime) number of years (e.g. 13 or 17) in an epic bloom all at once and then are gone again for that many years.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was working in Ga, out in the sticks when they were out last time. The noise was unreal. Even inside with the radio volume on 11, I couldnt drown out the noise. It was crazy. Here there are 4" long ones that sing loud, and they come out with the season change. But theyre nothing like that year. Its a good thing they dont come out in numbers like that, we would go deaf! There are a bunch of species here too. But I havnt heard of cycles of 17 yrs like in the States, they are out every year. And not so many. Gracias a dios..

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, if he had an infestation of us, he'd be in real trouble. He'd have to call the nut exterminator!

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who understood it like that :)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Eek, I think I'd rather put up with the annual ones we get.

I feel you!

The one you describe are the one I know from S of France and, for the moment, they are the only one I saw here.
I really don't like those new one I might meet :eek:
When was the last time they were spotted in Niles btw?o_O

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just heard the first this morning. They are everywhere. Will get their noismaker going soon enough.
Keep them away from your bonsai. They lay their eggs inside a branch. That branch literally bursts open when the eggs hatch, ruining it. That gaping wound don't grow over either. Nasty Nasty critters for a bonsai tree !!! :eek:

They have to mate first and then yes... I'm worried about it. My lil sticks have few branches to spare.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like one of my trees got nailed...
Not much a tree yet but at least this branch is in my plans to remove in the future.

And upon further inspection they got my hornbeam BAD! All upper branches. WTF can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20160616_092955452.jpg
    IMG_20160616_092955452.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like one of my trees got nailed...
Not much a tree yet but at least this branch is in my plans to remove in the future.

And upon further inspection they got my hornbeam BAD! All upper branches. WTF can I do?
Man that sucks. The only thing I can think of is to cover them with a shade cloth. Good luck with the rest of your trees. Luckily I havnt seen or heard any by me yet, hopefully they stay away.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My infestation here was short lived thankfully. And haven't seen any damage as yet either. Got lucky!
Looks like those scars will likely heal Underdog.

Top Bottom