Creepy 17yr Cicadas everywhere

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
My infestation here was short lived thankfully. And haven't seen any damage as yet either. Got lucky!
Looks like those scars will likely heal Underdog.
If they deposited eggs in the tree it could be a goner. Large forest trees can absorb the damage, not so our little gems.

I still can't get over the massive numbers and the volume of the droning noise when we had our cycle here a few years back.

Good luck everyone.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I've read LOL should only kill the branch on healthy trees. Mine are newly collected and far from strong. Kinda fond of this hornbeam but bunch of holes filled with eggs (I assume) on the only two branches.

Seems they like to hang under the branch to do their deed.

Trying to flood the holes with killer. Can't hurt.

Check your trees close people if you're in this brood.

Attachments

• IMG_20160616_162711662.jpg
    IMG_20160616_162711662.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20160616_162641097.jpg
    IMG_20160616_162641097.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160616_162724104_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160616_162724104_HDR.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 38

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I didn't miss while away...and they are seemingly less loud here now...on the way out? Seeing many dead on the ground.
You may be seeing the shells. Hollow where the buggers come out of.
I understand they are mating and now laying eggs in trees. They will be around here until Aug/Sept.
Watch for them and look for the cuts as shown. Supposed to be a 6 week process for the eggs which as they grow, kill the branch (at least).
Then the little ant like things crawl back into the ground for 17yrs. Creepy.

In my first pic you see shells and cicadas which emerged from the shell.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You may be seeing the shells. Hollow where the buggers come out of.
I understand they are mating and now laying eggs in trees. They will be around here until Aug/Sept.
Watch for them and look for the cuts as shown. Supposed to be a 6 week process for the eggs which as they grow, kill the branch (at least).

In my first pic you see shells and cicadas which emerged from the shell.
No, I know what a shell is. I've been finding them dead. Not sure why...but dead they are. Red eyes and wings...not moving laying on the ground dead. Oh trust me we still have them. But they are not near as loud aso before we went to Honduras back on June 1st. All the neighbors have been discussing it.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

How deep in the branch are the eggs? I wouldn't think the eggs growing would kill the branch, but maybe from the original damage or the new larvae eating it after they hatch? I wonder if a systemic would work, it might kill the new larvae if they start munching, but probably wouldn't get the eggs.

At least you don't have to wait 17 years to have your refined tree explode with these buggers!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How deep in the branch are the eggs? I wouldn't think the eggs growing would kill the branch, but maybe from the original damage or the new larvae eating it after they hatch? I wonder if a systemic would work, it might kill the new larvae if they start munching, but probably wouldn't get the eggs.

At least you don't have to wait 17 years to have your refined tree explode with these buggers!

I feel like I'm at war here! Chased two off this morning and yesterday the neighbors cat attacked one of my trees to get a bird who was eating a cicada. Totally uprooted my Elm breaking off almost all the new white roots.

Cuts appear shallow as I considered trying to cut them out. Likely have to remove the entire branch at best. Spraying the crap out of the cuts with stuff supposed to kill eggs and larva but...

I can kill my own trees well enough without all this freekin help! Frustrating...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More attacks this morning. Fresh cut on another branch. Same elm cat got going for bird going for Cicada.
Amazing it's also popped a few new buds? Still expect death on this one.
On top of that, birds, I suspect (or cats) are eating my fish out of the pond! Lost 3 out of six in the last 2 days.
I'm new at this stuff. Didn't expect so much of a battle w/mother nature. Making me MAD!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those who fish.
When a big cicada hatch is on the fish won't hardly eat anything else. If you're having no bites put one on a hook or use a cicada imitation bait.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you tried netting around your trees underdog? If mine were getting attacked like that I would do anything to stop it...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried netting around your trees underdog? If mine were getting attacked like that I would do anything to stop it...
If I had trees like yours I would too! So far it's only the elm and hornbeam I collected this spring.
Trying to spray the wounds for now. Next will be to cut them out if they start to swell. Finally branches removed.

That's my plan anyway.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know why but the wound it leaves when the bark bursts open, don't heal over, at least for a very long time. I see old wounds all around here on the wild trees. Maybe they inject a chemical....?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For those who fish.
When a big cicada hatch is on the fish won't hardly eat anything else. If you're having no bites put one on a hook or use a cicada imitation bait.

We had them here a couple years back and I had a ton of fun fishing dry cicada patterns to the trout on the South Holston River. The fishing there is usually with little dainty mayflies and midges - so splatting down a big foam cicada and watching the trout gulp them down was pretty awesome.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had them here a couple years back and I had a ton of fun fishing dry cicada patterns to the trout on the South Holston River. The fishing there is usually with little dainty mayflies and midges - so splatting down a big foam cicada and watching the trout gulp them down was pretty awesome.
I imagine so. I bass fish. Every time I see a fly and the teeny little hooks I wonder how you guys keep a fish on at all. I use mainly 4/0 hooks and they're poking out of the fishes head somewhere after I set the hook.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I imagine so. I bass fish. Every time I see a fly and the teeny little hooks I wonder how you guys keep a fish on at all. I use mainly 4/0 hooks and they're poking out of the fishes head somewhere after I set the hook.
Ive caught yard long snook on #4 hooks and six lb test. Big hooks are ok for big lures but with live bait I use the smallest hook I can. More bites from bigger fish come from naturally moving bait. Or I use a tiny jighead for made for crappie fishin' if I use shrimp. I always laugh at my dads hooks he uses for bass. "Dad I could catch a marlin with that hook..."
I use little jigheads for them too..

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive caught yard long snook on #4 hooks and six lb test. Big hooks are ok for big lures but with live bait I use the smallest hook I can. More bites from bigger fish come from naturally moving bait. Or I use a tiny jighead for made for crappie fishin' if I use shrimp. I always laugh at my dads hooks he uses for bass. "Dad I could catch a marlin with that hook..."
I use little jigheads for them too..
I use 7/0 for 12" plastic worms.
The smallest I use is 1/0 for drops hitting little 4 inch worms.
In your dad's defense bass fisherman are programmed to get the fish to the boat as fast as possible. Heavy tackle and big hooks makes sure they don't get off. Less stress on the fish for the ride to the weigh in.
Plus there is nothing like jerking on a hooksett as hard as you can and knowing you're driving a giant hook into a fish. Ask your dad. He knows. We live for it.

Top Bottom