Crepe myrtle Air layer question

Reaction score
If I decided I wanted to try and air layer a crepe myrtle, Not 100% sure if I will or not.

would I wait til its flowering cycle is over? or just on the branch im air layering pinch the flower buds?
Should I let the branch Im layering just flower?

is there any significance to the flowering cycle and the layer? would one process weaken the other?

Also do crepe myrtles layer very well?

Theres a bunch outside my house and I found like 2 or maybe 3 different branches that I thought I might try and bonsai.

Just wanted to ask since its bout time to get this stuff done and maybe this info will help move me along to doing that.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did a few a couple years ago, I forget exactly when but it was between June and July sometime after the leaves had hardened off. Mine were beat up nursery returns, so they never even put out flower buds.

Not positive about if the flowering cycle would inhibit root formation or not, but it wouldn't hurt the layer to pinch the flowers off when they start forming. If you were to leave them on though, it could waste energy.

Watch out! Mine took less then 30 days from making the girdle to severing the layer from the parent tree! I had a suspicion it would be quick but I couldn't believe how fast it took!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're in Georgia, so you probably have a longer growing season than most and could probably get away with waiting until they're done blooming, but why wait so long:cool:?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I put an air layer on a crape Tuesday. I should have roots before it ever thinks about blooming.

Reaction score
Ok, that's pretty positive information. I guess I will grab some air layering stuff here and try and do that.
they are pretty decent sized branches, about 2 inches across probably. I think one may have been more.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Although yours probably bloom earlier than mine. It shouldn’t be a problem air layering during blooming.

Top Bottom