Crepe myrtle help

Pharvey3232

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've had this crepe myrtle since last October 2020. Earlier this spring feb-March it started pushing growth and immediately the tips of every leaf turned brown. This continued through spring and into early summer. It blooms with no issues at all. It pushes new growth easily. The leave tips Jist turn brown. Even on the lower tinder leaves. In may I decided to treat with clearys and repot I cleaned the root system defoliated the whole tree disinfected the pot etc etc. well as of the end of summer oct 3 nothings changed It's not being over watered. Gets full morning sun now till 1pm and over all seems healthy. Except the damn brown tips on every leaf. It looks shabby 247 and at this point I want to quit on it and trash it. So frustrating. Any help on what I'm missing would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my ends. The only thing on me continuing to try is it cost a pretty penny and had great structure ,nebari and promise

Attachments

• 807E858A-9853-4D06-BB25-97A55B885A8F.jpeg
    807E858A-9853-4D06-BB25-97A55B885A8F.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 34
  • EFF43898-BF35-4543-B7A7-A3C886160851.jpeg
    EFF43898-BF35-4543-B7A7-A3C886160851.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 6FEE650A-8FB0-435B-842B-0F7D308CA144.jpeg
    6FEE650A-8FB0-435B-842B-0F7D308CA144.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 29
  • F0AF5B32-AAA0-4DAA-B0FA-BF96CBF19A83.jpeg
    F0AF5B32-AAA0-4DAA-B0FA-BF96CBF19A83.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 34

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Burn leaf tips is almost always a watering issue.

Pharvey3232

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The minute I let the soil go semi dry to barely moist the leafs start to droop. Telling me water , After I water it the leafs perk back up to happy. So it's not a water issue. Crepe myrtle do not like moist or soggy soil. Their a semi arid species. They prefer water Just when the soils begins to dry out. Over water it and the roots are not happy

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The minute I let the soil go semi dry to barely moist the leafs start to droop. Telling me water , After I water it the leafs perk back up to happy. So it's not a water issue. Crepe myrtle do not like moist or soggy soil. Their a semi arid species. They prefer water Just when the soils begins to dry out. Over water it and the roots are not happy
I have several & don’t let the leaves droop, it’s stressful to consistently wilt. My CM never have drooping leaves. I agree on soil to a degree, they are not aquatic plants and their roots need oxygen allowed by porosity, adequate drainage, and not sitting in a bathtub of bad soil.

They can be drought tolerant when established though I disagree that they are a semi-arid species even if they can thrive in a semi arid place. They like it hot, the sun, the south, sure -arid, can do fine in, but no.

They are native to China and greater southern regions in geographical relation and have been naturalized here. Honesty, I haven’t deeply researched their true native habitat, but it’s not arid, it’s prone to tropical or sub-tropical in its native home.

Over water can look just like under. Am curious of your sun exposure, watering frequency, and soil mix as well.

Here’s one I’ve probably cut back 4-5 times this year that is in pure napa DE, drench it every day or every other. Could cut it back again before leaf drop as I feel safe overwintering in the garage tho will probably stop picking on it till spring.
C9B0D656-8AD9-4D06-A883-ACC5702043BD.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, Crepes are really good growers given good media and proper watering.

Along with over watering, underwatering you can add one likely other cause, over fertilization. It’s not just azaleas that get burned leaf tips when over fertilized. So if you were pushing growth that might of triggered the burnt tips, also it can do the same to the roots due to chemically drying out the root tips…. This can cause a cascade of issues, even root rot… which might explain the watering turgid vs not scenario. Totally think this might be a likely cause.

There is one other reason for brunt leaf tips, sun burn which a couple of my in ground crepes got when bathed in the 110F Big Heat this summer. Don’t this is the cause.

Good luck getting your crepes back to health!

cheers,
DSD sends

Pharvey3232

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks guys !! Appreciate the advice and I'll let me go into dormancy later this year and hope for better next spring !!

Top Bottom