crepe myrtle progression

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I bought this tree in spring of 2015. I chopped down the Second trunk to nothing (you'll see the ugly base of it in the photos at the left of the base) and then cut the tree back some and let it grow. the top of the tree had good movement and perfect branch placement, so I air layered it when I got it. I could have just chopped it and been done but I was patient! I'll post the airlayer, too. I separated the air layer last spring after it had sufficient roots.. I repotted the mother tree this year, as buds were swelling and wired it. it has blessed me with about 10 flushes of growth this year as most of my CMs do! It still needs branches on the right side of the tree but im certain that it will bud there, next year. the trunk is kinda straight but oh well! what is the best way to attack that ugly dead stump at the base? and how do you think this tree is doing after a one year progression? any critique or suggestions are welcomed. here is the tree today, can't wait to prune and wire this winter! The first 2 pics is after repot this spring. 20160319_192536.jpgclose up of dead trunk.. don't mind my shitty wiring!
20160319_192522.jpg20160706_210031.jpgthe tree, not long after leaves started opening.
20160911_223308.jpg this is the tree now, the photo is cutting the sides short a little bit but you get the idea! I think it's a tree with really good potential. thanks for looking!
20160917_215358.jpg this is the air layer.. the old top of the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the base is too wide for this to be so tall.

Besides that Airlayer should give you all the joys of tall and slender.

The angle of the big branch to me, dictates it as a second trunk.
As, to me, it will look silly with more right side branches at that angle.
Worse with branches pulled down further.

I think you can pull off something like this.aviary-image-1476011281713.jpeg

And ditch that front branch. Maybe even the first left one too. Then it don't have to catch up!

But with so much growth....
You got mad options!

Another Crepe to crave!

Nice!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree is responding nicely. One of my desired species...

I'm the second one who would have chopped it lower. Nothing is lost and it depends how tall you want it have...

Top Bottom