Crepe Myrtle

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a large and beautiful crepe myrtle in my back yard that I would like to grow a cutting from. This tree defeats me at every turn. Every time I take a cutting it wilts and dies within the first day or so. I've tried different times of the year, I've used different growing mediums and no luck. Could some of you please share how you succeed at this?
Thank you
Aaron

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a large and beautiful crepe myrtle in my back yard that I would like to grow a cutting from. This tree defeats me at every turn. Every time I take a cutting it wilts and dies within the first day or so. I've tried different times of the year, I've used different growing mediums and no luck. Could some of you please share how you succeed at this?
Thank you
Aaron
I'm assuming you've done this already but have you used rooting hormone at all? Will it air layer?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I pruned our big landscape crape this past weekend, it hasn't woken up as of yet. Just for fun I am trying some hardwood cuttings. I put a little rooting hormone on them and stuck then in a pot of perlite, with a plastic bag over them. I've never had much luck with cuttings, with the exception of ficus. They were destined for the burn pile anyway, so I'm giving it a shot. Best of luck with yours.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you
Aaron
Crape myrtles are unsurpassed when it comes to rooting cuttings. You just need to be sure you "bag" the pot or tray you're using, in order to keep the foliage from transpiring to death. For smaller pots you can use one of those clear plastic produce bags from the grocery. Wet your medium (coarse sand works well), wet your cutting and dip into a container of rooting powder, plant it in the pot, cover with the bag and put in a shady spot. Wait three or four weeks, and you'll have yourself some new crapes.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you
Aaron
They air-layer very easily. In about a month.

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crape myrtles are unsurpassed when it comes to rooting cuttings. You just need to be sure you "bag" the pot or tray you're using, in order to keep the foliage from transpiring to death. For smaller pots you can use one of those clear plastic produce bags from the grocery. Wet your medium (coarse sand works well), wet your cutting and dip into a container of rooting powder, plant it in the pot, cover with the bag and put in a shady spot. Wait three or four weeks, and you'll have yourself some new crapes.
Thanks, I will give that a try

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just recently potted up a couple of Pocomokes that I rushed from the rooting tray a little bit. Not a lot of root yet, but they'll do fine. Good luck with yours.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Same here...I have tried every method… Crispy within 72 hours. However I got this little guy going for me… Figure in the next 10 to 15 years I could have the start of a nice little tree🙄
A7DE1E37-8260-4809-BB56-AAA81F654880.jpeg

Top Bottom