Crimson and Gold Quince for Bonsai?

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I found a decent quince of the crismon and gold type for about 15$. Do these make good bonsai? I have read that the dwarfs make the best but I am unclear as to whether this is a drwarf.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I found a decent quince of the crismon and gold type for about 15$. Do these make good bonsai? I have read that the dwarfs make the best but I am unclear as to whether this is a drwarf.
I've seen them, and they look like they could be good for bonsai.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Is this the flowering quince with yellow, or gold foliage? If so, it could be a very nice bonsai. If it is the one I think I have seen, it would be good for medium size bonsai. Its growth pattern is more like Toyo Nishiki rather than Chojubai. The yellow foliage should make a nice contrast with the scattered summer and autumn flowers.

Almost all flowering quince, Chaenomeles genus, make decent bonsai, there are some that are better than others, but all can work quite well. Some are better for medium size bonsai, some are ideal for the smallest of dwarf sizes, but all make good bonsai. Some are more free blooming than others but they all can be trained into nice tree & or clump forms.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is the red bloom type. I will post some pics when I get a chance. Thank you for your response.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When can these be re potted? I would assume before the leaves come out or maybe in the fall?

I would like to do a repot soon where I pot in a little smaller container and maybe only change half the soil out.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In Alabama, I'm certain late summer to early autumn repotting, say before middle of October is good, as the hottest weather has passed, and if done before the middle of October, you have 8 weeks or more before a possible frost. Spring, after flowers, but before vegetative buds unfurl, is the ''traditional'' spring season for repotting. Because quince have moderately strong late summer burst of growth, many prefer to repot during this growth period. Up north, we don't have many days over 90 F, some years zero days over 90 F, average is less than 11 days, this means anytime from beginning of August until middle of September is good for repotting. BUT remember I am north of Chicago, and get regular cooling from ''da Lake''. So my seasons are nothing at all like Alabama.

Top Bottom