Crispy Juniper tips and wilting shoots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
New Juniper owner here. Received three junipers in the mail about two weeks ago. Did some slight pruning, and watered them daily when the soil felt slightly dry. They have direct sun for about 4-5 hrs throughout the day.

I went on a trip for about five days, and asked someone to water them every day. When I came back, I found out they had been watered only once. This is when I began to notice the dry, prickly foliage. Some would come off in my fingers easily. I also noticed the tips of the main trunk started to wilt. Needless to say, since returning they've gotten more water.

I've been keeping a closer eye on the moisture level of the soil now, and just started using a 2-1-6 fertilizer today(It's what I have). Am I doing enough? I have noticed this in spots on the opposite end of the tree, but I haven't noticed it on the other two trees just yet. I've attached pictures of the crispy and regular foliage, as well as the growth on the trunk tip.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Tip growth.jpg
    Tip growth.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 27
  • Crispy Foliage.jpg
    Crispy Foliage.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Normal foliage.jpg
    Normal foliage.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 27

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pic 1 the foliage in your hand is dead but stuff in the background looks ok

Pic 2 much like Pic 1. The extended branches look kinda crispy but stuff in the back looks OK.

Pic 3 mostly looks ok.

I think you dodged a bullet. You might get some die off of branches and extended foliage but I think it will survive as long as you continue watering correctly.

Applying fertilizer to a weak/stressed tree does the tree no good. Let it recover a few weeks first.

Imo, friend and relatives are unreliable waterers most of the time. My sprinkler, timer and fresh set of batteries is much more reliable.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tip growth~2.jpg

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pic 1 the foliage in your hand is dead but stuff in the background looks ok

Pic 2 much like Pic 1. The extended branches look kinda crispy but stuff in the back looks OK.

Pic 3 mostly looks ok.

I think you dodged a bullet. You might get some die off of branches and extended foliage but I think it will survive as long as you continue watering correctly.

Applying fertilizer to a weak/stressed tree does the tree no good. Let it recover a few weeks first.

Imo, friend and relatives are unreliable waterers most of the time. My sprinkler, timer and fresh set of batteries is much more reliable.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll look into an automatic sprinkler system, take it off fertilizer, and keep monitoring the foliage.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the feedback, I'll look into an automatic sprinkler system, take it off fertilizer, and keep monitoring the foliage.
Doesn't need to be a complex system. Mine is literally a battery operated timer, hose and lawn sprinkler that covers the area needed. I spent probably around $100 total.

Friend of mine puts all his trees together in one area that his system covers when he goes away.

Just make sure it's functioning properly before you leave and the batteries are good and you shouldn't have to worry if your trees are being watered

Top Bottom