Critique my young bonsai!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, that's really good. :)

Now why does letting wire bite in work better than quickly replacing the it before it does? At least I think many of us believe this to be true, at least to some extent.
If the wire has not bit in, the branch hasn’t gotten any thicker, has it? If it hasn’t gotten any thicker, there’s not very many new cells, are there? So if there aren’t very many new cells, what’s holding the branch in the new position? Nuthin’!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
the same cells are present they are just aranged differently. They now have 2 corners to them as they sweall up around the wire. It creates a ridged spine and helps to keep the shape in place.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If looking at a continuing spiral pattern on a branch doesn't immediately grab your attention and say, "This is un-natural and out of character...", then by golly, go for it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If looking at a continuing spiral pattern on a branch doesn't immediately grab your attention and say, "This is un-natural and out of character...", then by golly, go for it.
A bit of wire damage is inevitable. Much like how on an oil painting you can see brushstrokes. It’s really no different than when doing clip and grow, there’s pruning scars.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question if this is Spruce? Needles and top whorl of branches appear as a true Fir;).

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A bit of wire damage is inevitable. Much like how on an oil painting you can see brushstrokes. It’s really no different than when doing clip and grow, there’s pruning scars.
I beg to differ. Wire marks are ugly, and pruning scars should be hidden from view, neither of which are automatically part of any method, are to be avoided and the bailiwick of the unskilled. You are representing yourself as the be all, end all. Just maybe, you should consider cutting your wire off before it does damage?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I beg to differ. Wire marks are ugly, and pruning scars should be hidden from view, neither of which are automatically part of any method, are to be avoided and the bailiwick of the unskilled. You are representing yourself as the be all, end all. Just maybe, you should consider cutting your wire off before it does damage?
Adair should have said that a bit of wire damage is inevitable if you're doing A LOT of wiring and your actually leaving the wire on long enough to do the job properly. Removing the wire before the branch is set is a waste of time and wire. "Bailiwick of the unskilled"?? ... give me a break. The bailiwick of the unskilled is to wire out a tree then remove it before it does it's job, or eschew wiring as a rule with the excuse that they prefer the Clip and Grow method.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gee... I guess I should return my Best of Show ribbons at the Carolina Expo, the 2016 National Shohin Show, multiple times st the Atlanta Bonsai Society shows.

I guess Bjorn, Kathy Shaner, Bill Valavanis, Suthin, Tyler Sherrard don’t know what makes a good tree!

I guess maybe I should just give up now. I’ve fooled ‘em for so long! But, now, Forsoothe has pointed out that I’m an incompetent, I’ll be embarrassed to show my face at any more shows!

Oh, woe is me!!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Dav4 & @Adair M, I'm really impressed with your grasp of knowing more than everybody else in the whole world. I'm also surprised that you take the time to bother with us lower forms of life. I get the results I need and am satisfied with, and you do your thing. You suggest that anyone who doesn't see it like you do can't get suitable results, and it falls upon deaf ears because we are stupid. Very unconvincing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 & @Adair M, I'm really impressed with your grasp of knowing more than everybody else in the whole world. I'm also surprised that you take the time to bother with us lower forms of life. I get the results I need and am satisfied with, and you do your thing. You suggest that anyone who doesn't see it like you do can't get suitable results, and it falls upon deaf ears because we are stupid. Very unconvincing.
Go back and read as many of your posts from every thread you participated in here, then come back and read the one I’ve highlighted here… You could possibly be the most hypocritical person ever to participate here at Bonsainut... Seriously.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go back and read as many of your posts from every thread you participated in here, then come back and read the one I’ve highlighted here… You could possibly be the most hypocritical person ever to participate here at Bonsainut... Seriously.
Same to you. I give as good as I get. You don't like me criticizing your posts? Stop telling me that I don't l know what I'm talking about when I say how I manage my trees. If you don't like my trees, post better. Or, better yet, If you have better methods state what they are without comparing yours favorably at my personal expense: just say you like yours better than mine and the public can take their choice. When you try to make yourself look good by condemning me and my methods as ignorant, I will respond. Get used to it, or get lost, or go fly a kite. I am perfectly happy to compare mine with yours and let John Q. Public extrapolate what's good and what's second best. I don't personally give a damn how many blue ribbons you have or claim. You can either conduct a civil conversation, or not. I give as good as I get.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Same to you. I give as good as I get. You don't like me criticizing your posts? Stop telling me that I don't l know what I'm talking about when I say how I manage my trees. If you don't like my trees, post better. Or, better yet, If you have better methods state what they are without comparing yours favorably at my personal expense: just say you like yours better than mine and the public can take their choice. When you try to make yourself look good by condemning me and my methods as ignorant, I will respond. Get used to it, or get lost, or go fly a kite. I am perfectly happy to compare mine with yours and let John Q. Public extrapolate what's good and what's second best. I don't personally give a damn how many blue ribbons you have or claim. You can either conduct a civil conversation, or not. I give as good as I get.
Again, go read your post and then come back and read this one… You were the one having the issue being civil… Not me :). I have not mentioned your trees, nor have I brought any of mine into this discussion. You’re being pretty defensive if you ask me… And honestly, quite hypocritical… Again! Anyway, I’m in the middle of repotting a pretty awesome Juniper... Fully wired with copper, though they’re not quite biting in yet so they’re going to stay on for a bit longer :). Perhaps, I’ll post a picture when I’m finished.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Forsooth, if you’re happy with your trees, that’s fine with me. You can do with yours what you like.

However, if you post poor techniques expect that I and/or others will refute it.

I don’t know more than anyone else in the world about bonsai, but I do practice bonsai at a very high level. I share the techniques I learn from the very best bonsai practitioners in the world. If you want to learn those techniques, pay attention, I share them as I learn them. If, instead you prefer to remain close minded and ignorant, then put me on ignore.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If looking at a continuing spiral pattern on a branch doesn't immediately grab your attention
For pretty much all coniferous species that is a matter of 2 growing seasons before they start to fade away. Decidous I prefer to wire young branches in spring, or wire loose in winter. All wire on deciduous comes off mid-to-late spring latest.

Top Bottom