Critique this blue atlas im considering purchasing

Reaction score
Im currently enquiring about a blue atlas "horstmann" thats for sale privately.
Its a 3 hour drive from me so ive asked for more photos and details from the seller (branch placement-wiring scars etc etc-360 degree views of tree).
I wouldnt pay the asking price ($2100 neg) but i'll make an offer if everythings ok.
This blue atlas cedar "horstmann" has the more compact needle and growth and gets a very silvery look to the foliage (very attractive).
It stands 72cm tall.
Its hard to tell whats going on with the crown etc but ive enquired about sending more photos.
I want as much detail as possible before i even consider driving to look at it.

One thing ive noticed is i dont think it has a lower back branch...it looks like the higher branching has been pulled down into this area...if thats the case I'll pass on the purchase.
Ive added 2 photos (all i have at the moment)...of the front and back of the tree.

Have a look and see what you think....Honest critique please (dont hold back).

FRONT
blue atlas cedar-72cm tall.jpg

BACK
back of blue atlas cedar.jpg

Thanks guys and gals...cheers

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it’s great looking tree. I can’t say I’d personally pay close to that much for it, but im not the person to ask about pricing. I’ve yet to pay anything terribly expensive at all. But the tree itself seems healthy and can only improve with time. The branch angles off of the trunk need work along with a few pad positions and position in the pot. But a nice tree for sure.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Shibui is an Aussie and has insight better than I do in the market down under. He’s got great trees also so I’m sure he could give sound thoughts.

Reaction score
@Shibui is an Aussie and has insight better than I do in the market down under. He’s got great trees also so I’m sure he could give sound thoughts.
Thank you very much for your input Hartinez.
Yes,Im not sure of its value as a bonsai so im being very cautious here.
I wont be paying the asking price but i do want to see how far i can push this person down in price.
Contacting shibui is a great idea (he's only 30min from me).
Thanks again Hartinez, cheers.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice looking tree. Surface roots are not all that great. It’s been cleverly styled but doesn’t quite pass. IMHO.

Reaction score
Nice looking tree. Surface roots are not all that great. It’s been cleverly styled but doesn’t quite pass. IMHO.
Thank you Eckhoffw.
My thoughts exactally...its been cleverly styled to compensate for what looks like a lack of a lower back branch.
It could be made to look a lot nicer with the correct styling but as you say, it will never QUITE get there.
Im OK with that...but,if i make an offer its going to dictate that fact.
Appreciate your time Eckhoffw, cheers.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it is a very nice tree, would love to have it on my bench.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like the tree a lot. The bottom pad seems more filled out in ratio to the others, but that's not irreparable.

Reaction score
I think it is a very nice tree, would love to have it on my bench.
I feel the same way Colorado : ) the foliage on the horstmann is stunning.
I can put up with small faults...no tree is perfect and we can nit-pick til the cows come home but in the end its what makes us happy (all things considered of course).
I wont hesitate to pull out of the sale if this person gets upset at me pointing out faults...it will be a polite goodbye.

Reaction score
I like the tree a lot. The bottom pad seems more filled out in ratio to the others, but that's not irreparable.
I agree srt8madness,thank you...there are a few faults with the tree but nothing that grinds my bonsai gears.
A bit of work and she'd look quite stunning i think.
Im just waiting on video.

Reaction score
Just recieved the videos and i must say, the tree looks so much better than the two dimensional photos.
It IS lacking a lower back branch but a little restyling of the upper branch that fills this area would definately balance it out better.
Its actually clever the way this person has styled this tree.
The tree was aquired in 2019 and he sent me a file with its progression over that time.
I cant see any finer detail as the video isnt as close up as i would have liked so a visual inspection would be in order if i take this further.
Negotiating the price could be a challenge as i sense this guy knows his stuff but who knows...the right approach may suffice.
See how far this gets...hopefully we can agree on a price that is satisfactory for both parties.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a nice tree and I agree with the comments others above made.

$2100 seems a bit steep imo

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basically nice, No straight boring trunk. However: Wire scars, thin trunk, no low back branch, junky looking pot (no matter who made by). Price wildly unreasonable fantasy of seller. Personally would not give $300 for it.

Reaction score
Basically nice, No straight boring trunk. However: Wire scars, thin trunk, no low back branch, junky looking pot (no matter who made by). Price wildly unreasonable fantasy of seller. Personally would not give $300 for it.
Youre a hard man Pot.
Wouldnt it bother you that making an offer that low would be like punching the seller in the face (which i find disturbingly funny).

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree Paradox...if you dont mind me asking, what do you believe would be a more realistic price?

As others stated, it's difficult to price a tree.
Prices between the US and Europe can vary greatly.
Even within the United States, prices can vary from one side of the country to the other.

A could see a tree like that having a price of at least $1000 here but whether someone would pay that is another question.

As @rockm stated, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Reaction score
As others stated, it's difficult to price a tree.
Prices between the US and Europe can vary greatly.
Even within the United States, prices can vary from one side of the country to the other.

A could see a tree like that having a price of at least $1000 here but whether someone would pay that is another question.

As @rockm stated, it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
Thanks Paradox, appreciate your answer.
I contacted Shibui (30min fom me) to get his opinion and he also stated its worth what someones willing to pay.
Apparently 2100+ is a reasonable price here in Australia...i kind of suspected as much (everything's expensive here now : (

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Throw a thumb over all that tacky shit at the base. Increase by $1,000 instantly!

Wrong pot, rocks to orange, the pot moss is to bright and different from the tree base moss.
It's jarringly ugly.

But the tree is nice.

Sorce

Top Bottom