Crocus Martis oxide wash on greenware test

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
On this thread I was curious about the finish on a pot JasonG owns. I thought the pot was colored using an oxide wash of crocus martis on greenware and fired once. So I made a small oval pot and gave it a crocus martis wash while green and fired it to cone 6 (no bisque). It has a very purple brown (like eggplant skin) and very matt/non-glossy. I think I need to add more of the crocus martis, because the greenware does not have the same porosity as bisque. A pound of crocus martis costs about $4, and would probably cover 2000 pots this size. Here's a pic

crocus_martis.jpg

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Boon,
When I get home I'll take a photo of the test tiles I did with C martis. Looks much different from your sample.

Can you believe no supplier in N. CA has this oxide, had to get it from Seattle Pottery. I got 10lbs for $21 shipping included.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boondock,

Nice looking oval pot.

Interesting results with the oxide test.

I'm not familiar with this particular colorant.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
hmmm, what color is that clay? That looks alot different than my results. If that clay has alot of iron in it, it probably reacted with the crocus martis.

Last edited:

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The body is tijuana red.

^5 on buff

^04 on sandstone

Did you brush the oxide on? If you want to avoid brush marks try dipping, let dry and then damp sponge off the excess.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
yes I brushed the crocus martis on. You can't really dip greenware. I have a 5 gallon bucket with MnDO2 (manganese dioxide), but I really don't want to have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, one for Red Iron Oxide, Copper Oxide, Chrome Oxide, Crocus Martis, etc. But I might have to do that.

I did pick up a pound of Yellow Ocher this week, so I might mess around with that this week. I have 5 or 6 pots bisqued right now in the studio, but the weather is looking good for the rest of the week and it's hard to sit inside when the sun shines.

The pots I've made this week are all constructed out of a very dark brown clay, so no oxide will be needed.

I'll brush a heavy coat of crocus martis on a bisque pot and return to this thread for a comparison photo.

Top Bottom