Cross country move advice

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I’m a few weeks away from a cross country move and I’m trying to figure out the best way to move as many of my trees as possible along with my family. We are looking at using PODS to move most of our belongings, and I’m trying to decide if it’s safe to move any trees in the pod or if a separate u-haul trailer is the way to go. Should all of the trees be boxed and surrounded with packing peanuts for extra protection? What experience do you all have with long moves and what worked for you and what would you have done differently?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When I moved from MA to GA, I rented a 26' moving van. Of course, I was moving approx. 100 potted trees and many were pretty large, so a smaller collection might not need a vehicle so large. I built several very large wooden benches that were firmly attached to the sides of the moving van, allowing me to place trees on top and below them. The trees on top were, in turn, wired to the bench top with rubber coated wire. We did use pods to move our belongings... that was fine for our stuff but I would never expect a tree shipped in one to do well, as they get knocked around a lot getting and you won't have access to them for a while making checking on them and watering impossible.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I second Dave that the PODS are great for moving inanimate objects...but would NOT put my trees in there.

I just used a POD this month. They pick up and place the POD with a lift and straps. It swings wildly.

Watching this, my wife was worried that her couch was going to break. I don’t think a bonsai tree would last long in there.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just to add another headache to your move, remember to study up so you aren’t bringing a plant into an area where it is considered invasive. The Carolinas don’t need anymore Privet or Honeysuckle plants. :)

Top Bottom