Crossing branches

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I use the pics below as the front of this boxwood, should I prune off the low branch that crosses the trunk to the viewer's left?

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 69

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can guarantee with you, Any tree will have crossing branches if you look at it from an angle. Do you see it when looking from the 'front' of the tree?

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, the photos were taken from the front of the tree. It is a large healthy branch and without it there is nothing low going to the left of the tree, but it really blocks the trunk and closes at least one vertical branch/trunk as well. My instinct is to take it off, but once done there is no going back so I wanted to gauge the thoughts of this forum first.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, the photos were taken from the front of the tree. It is a large healthy branch and without it there is nothing low going to the left of the tree, but it really blocks the trunk and closes at least one vertical branch/trunk as well. My instinct is to take it off, but once done there is no going back so I wanted to gauge the thoughts of this forum first.
Meh - not convinced this is the front.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
*IF* that's the front, that branch needs to go. If you're not ready to commit, it looks like the tree could use a hard prune (after letting it grow a bit wild(er) ) to hopefully force a bud to pop further back. The long bare sections are best avoided.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems to me that the lowest left and right branches come from the same spot (there appear to be four branches coming from the same location), and neither flows upwards like the rest of the tree does.

Neither fits in, and in my opinion, this would benefit from removing them both. Of course, removing them is going to leave a scar, and this may not be the best front in that case.

Fi5ch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The 4 sides are below; from L to R my choice, right side, back, left side with corresponding bases/bottom 1/3 of the trunk. Looking at it again, the rear (pics #3 & #7) may work and would put those two branches at the back.

Attachments

• IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3782.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3781.jpg
    IMG_3781.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 25

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry, I don't like the two lower branches and agree the tree needs to be seriously trimmed. Where does one get those baskets??

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I don't like the two lower branches and agree the tree needs to be seriously trimmed. Where does one get those baskets??
I double them up to make the holes half as big and stronger.

I like the 3rd pic for front which is your current back I believe but without in person viewing...

Top Bottom