Crossing Juniper

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Main trunk is beautifully curved but there's a crotch branch that goes the other way. Also there's the knob. I'm thinking I'll jin the knob and crotch branch. I'll upload some better photos this weekend.

I just repotted it so I'm not doing anything this season except feeding and planning.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_192306651.jpg
    IMG_20220317_192306651.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 189

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Very hard to make any intelligent comments when just seeing a small section of the tree. Like deciding whether to buy a house after just seeing the front door.

I know you said the trunk has a nice curve and without seeing where any of these go I'd be considering whether there's any alternative to the thick trunk with no taper but I'll wait for more photos.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Branch going backwards most interesting part of tree from present picture;).

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are some more photos. I have not pruned any of the branches so it is difficult to see inside but hopefully these give a better idea of the structure.

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_152538122.jpg
    IMG_20220227_152538122.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20220227_152542937.jpg
    IMG_20220227_152542937.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20220227_155613708_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220227_155613708_HDR.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20220227_155628227_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220227_155628227_HDR.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20220227_155630635_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220227_155630635_HDR.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 146

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the big problems with evergreens is ability to see branch structure. Even in person it takes lots of checking from all sides to decide on what to use. Photos almost impossible. Also we get a limited view because we cannot check from the other side or tilt the trunk to check alternative angles.

First look at the main trunk looked like better taper but I suspect that's just perspective from the photo and the direction of that trunk toward the camera so I still think taper will be the biggest flaw if using that main trunk.
The crossing branch initially looks much more attractive from taper and bend point of view but where does it go and what side branches are available. Will the client cope with removing more than 50% of the existing tree to (maybe) get a better one in the future?
Lowest branch also looks attractive but same questions arise as above only more reduction required if that is to be the future main trunk.

Apologies that so much of this advice is couched in terms of questions instead of black and white answers.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would jin both of those low left branches, and later wire out a new first right branch, and wire out the trunk which is moving left. Give it a twist and position it more upright as a new leader.
3F942522-642D-40A1-A865-B1F94038F304.jpeg

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One of the big problems with evergreens is ability to see branch structure. Even in person it takes lots of checking from all sides to decide on what to use. Photos almost impossible. Also we get a limited view because we cannot check from the other side or tilt the trunk to check alternative angles.

First look at the main trunk looked like better taper but I suspect that's just perspective from the photo and the direction of that trunk toward the camera so I still think taper will be the biggest flaw if using that main trunk.
The crossing branch initially looks much more attractive from taper and bend point of view but where does it go and what side branches are available. Will the client cope with removing more than 50% of the existing tree to (maybe) get a better one in the future?
Lowest branch also looks attractive but same questions arise as above only more reduction required if that is to be the future main trunk.

Apologies that so much of this advice is couched in terms of questions instead of black and white answers.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It is very hard to show the tree's potential. And thank you for thinking that I have bonsai clients! That's a very nice compliment indeed.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would jin both of those low left branches, and later wire out a new first right branch, and wire out the trunk which is moving left. Give it a twist and position it more upright as a new leader.
View attachment 425330
And thank you too. I think this is the way I was heading. I'll try and get some better photos to make some virtuals.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
And thank you for thinking that I have bonsai clients! That's a very nice compliment indeed.
I was going to pass and leave you feeling good but in the interests of truth and integrity have to admit it was not you I meant. I guess that's the way I think about other people's trees because I do have bonsai clients and run workshops so I have learned how reluctant many people are to reduce trees for longer term gains. Sorry to burst that bubble of happiness.

Good luck with the decisions and subsequent development.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Brian Van Fleet is on the spot, yet I would envision a good deal more craving connecting the Jin’s artistically, and going up the trunk. The trunk and Branches could potentially make a nice, twisted, gnarly naturalistic bonsai.

As you might tell, I recently spent 6 houtprs with Dan Robinso! 😎

cheers
DSD sends

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was going to pass and leave you feeling good but in the interests of truth and integrity have to admit it was not you I meant. I guess that's the way I think about other people's trees because I do have bonsai clients and run workshops so I have learned how reluctant many people are to reduce trees for longer term gains. Sorry to burst that bubble of happiness.

It's all good.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,

Since repotting, some of the needles in this juniper have gone brown. The tree gets afternoon sun. Any thoughts? Should it be in the shade instead given the repot?

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_185648659_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220521_185648659_HDR.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220521_185644517_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220521_185644517_HDR.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220521_185703821.jpg
    IMG_20220521_185703821.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 93

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is the time of year junipers shed old needles. It looks like it’s mostly interior needles, which is normal. It may be shedding a bit more than normal as a response to too much root removal at repotting.

Keep it still, in the sun, and mist the foliage several times a day. Don’t let the tree dry out, but don’t be afraid to make the tree send out new roots in search of water.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is the time of year junipers shed old needles. It looks like it’s mostly interior needles, which is normal. It may be shedding a bit more than normal as a response to too much root removal at repotting.

Keep it still, in the sun, and mist the foliage several times a day. Don’t let the tree dry out, but don’t be afraid to make the tree send out new roots in search of water.
Thanks. I'll do my best.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I misted it this morning and noticed that new foliage is growing from the tips. I'm thinking that means it is healthy but the browning on the interior foliage is a reaction to aggressive root pruning.

I've treated younger junipers either the same or more aggressively and they did not react like this. I guess with age comes less resiliency. That's a lesson that I am learning personally too!

Laddo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

sheesh

Top Bottom