[crowd-sourcing opinion/tastes!] I've gotta decide which direction to take the canopies on these (2) small-ish bonsai, hoping for help/suggestions!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
These are two specimen that were propagated-hardwood-cuttings from last year, I've been growing-in primaries but they're now to the point I've gotta decide rough canopy-shapes and I'm on-the-fence on both of these specimen, hopefully you guys&gals can help guide me towards making the most of them!

-------------------

1st Specimen (both are bougies) is a 'slanted', half-fallen style bougie, I have its container tilted-upward to show (partially) how the actual orientation will be (it'll be angled a little higher than the container's wedge is angling it now), however when it comes to guiding the primaries / deciding how I want the canopy to be I'm stuck- I'd originally envisioned having the primaries to in the same direction the trunk goes, not a true 'wind-swept' but it'd be a tree that angled to that direction the trunk aims; however, as it grew-in, it almost looks like I could do a 'wide, downward-curving' canopy, something that's almost like 1/4th of an angled circle (this shape can be seen better in pic#2) Anyways, any advice on whether that trunk would look better if the limbs just went away from it (to the left in the photo, and not "wind-swept" in aesthetic although it would be horizontal-ish branches, remembering I will be upping the angle of the trunk)
20180714_163650.jpg 20180714_163707.jpg

--------------------

2nd Specimen is (I think!) a much easier call, but I'm still split on it....I should note that, while it's easy-enough to miss in the photo, there is a container-wide, half-sunken horizontal trunk that turns upward near the end of the pot at that ~45deg upward-right angle, so I'd originally thought it'd be cool to do a 'comb-over' approach where the end of the trunking where it curves upward-to-the-left would be trained to 'round-over' back over the center of the horizontal trunk / center of the pot, leaving a bare-side on the right of that area- the canopy's center-mass would be inches to the left of where the trunk takes the 45deg upward-leftward angle...but, after giving it a hard-prune and taking a look, I've gotten a new idea I can't dismiss- making the canopy centered upon that upward-turn in the trunk! [sorry that the pics don't show the horizontal, half-buried trunk so well, it runs the entire length of the pot and has strong rooting from end-to-end!]
20180714_162747.jpg 20180714_162819.jpg

-----------------

Thanks a ton for any thoughts (of any sort!) on either/both of these, am so on the fence on both, the 1st one could see me removing the bottom ~1/4th of the branches and just training it leftward (quasi-wind-swept, though I'd 'bush' it more as I worked towards pads), the 2nd one could have its canopy be made to be wind-swept rightward, curl back inward and center on the horizontal trunk, or stay in the center and be centered on the part of the trunk that takes that upward 45deg angle from the otherwise-horizontal trunk!

[[edited-to-add: FWIW these are "root-bound" and established in their containers, am intending to do the heavier work (wiring and/or carving if necessary) while they're still in these, will be removing & root-pruning afterward]]

Top Bottom