Crushed stone work area

johng

Omono
Reaction score
If you pile 6" of sand / gravel / rock on top of grass I guarantee you will kill it.

What is your guarantee??? I don't suspect you have ever dealt the grass in the Southern climates:) I have had it grow through more than 12" of sand in a matter of days!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An alternative to landscape fabric that has worked well for me under a mulch cover is several thicknesses of newspaper. Grass dies off as it does under landscape fabric, but it does allow weeds to eventually work back up from the bottom as it deteriorates.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Newspaper ink is often lead based.
Eat nothing from those areas if so.
Good Day
Anthony

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Roundup is a fast acting herbicide that quickly breaks down. It is no worse than a lot of other chemicals that get used. The main negative is its effect on beneficial fauna.
Breaks down into what?

Salt, water, and vinegar (with optional Dawn) works equally as well.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is your guarantee??? I don't suspect you have ever dealt the grass in the Southern climates:) I have had it grow through more than 12" of sand in a matter of days!!
Good point; the grasses we have in PA are quite different. As usual in bonsai YMMV. ;)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also I cant believe that bonsai people would use roundup. boggles my mind.
I have stuff that makes Roundup seem weak.
I may be into bonsai but I'm the furthest thing from a tree hugger there is.
Even on the bonsai themselves. I go right to man-made chemicals to control pests on them too. I hose them down with Bayer 3 in 1 systemic. Controls insects,mites and fungus all in one squirt.
Here I have to do a 50 hour course just to have the privilege to be able to use or buy round-up so who knows what I would need for the good stuff.
I'm a certified pesticide applicator. Even for aquatic applications.
Salt, water, and vinegar (with optional Dawn) works equally as well.
Makes you wonder what's in the Dawn dish soap.

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An alternative to landscape fabric that has worked well for me under a mulch cover is several thicknesses of newspaper. Grass dies off as it does under landscape fabric, but it does allow weeds to eventually work back up from the bottom as it deteriorates.

I have used cardboard from boxes etc. with similar result

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have stuff that makes Roundup seem weak.
I may be into bonsai but I'm the furthest thing from a tree hugger there is.
Even on the bonsai themselves. I go right to man-made chemicals to control pests on them too. I hose them down with Bayer 3 in 1 systemic. Controls insects,mites and fungus all in one squirt.

I'm a certified pesticide applicator. Even for aquatic applications.

Makes you wonder what's in the Dawn dish soap.
The dawn is only used to make it 'stick' and cover the weeds better. Again, optional.

I'm no tree hugger either, but I refuse to use Roundup. The effect it has on our crops and water- just scary. Ever heard of Monsanto?

Top Bottom