Crust Big-n-Awkward Larch

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
This year is the year I will be attempting grafting on seedlings for rootage higher up the trunk. The lower trunk is reverse tapered and starkly cylindrical. I cleaned up and wired anyway though, I had let it grow out some to juice up the trunk. Thew last shot is hopefully the future. The carving and deadwood is cursory at this stage.
nOzNCcq.jpg

5QxxsHd.jpg

XnHu4KL.jpg

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This year is the year I will be attempting grafting on seedlings for rootage higher up the trunk. The lower trunk is reverse tapered and starkly cylindrical. I cleaned up and wired anyway though, I had let it grow out some to juice up the trunk. Thew last shot is hopefully the future. The carving and deadwood is cursory at this stage.

If you can achieve this it would improve the material immeasurably. Shouldn't be too hard?

However, these parallel lines bother me. I think the angle of that apex branch will need to be addressed either by planting angle or some tuggin'.

Although its kinda cool now how it looks like it is bending over to grope something. Kinda creepy. I like it. I would try to preserve this anthropomorphism when designing the tree in the future.

This could be a very impressive tree in the future.

FKSlZFk.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it shorter, stronger...
How will you accomplish this? Will you air layer? I too like the sinister vibe it gives off at first glance.
And what is that silver plate on the pot???

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
How will you accomplish this? Will you air layer? I too like the sinister vibe it gives off at first glance.
I am not going to try to layer. I will be approach grafting on a bunch of small larch after the spring flush is done. I have the seedlings and will be preparing them once they are thawed--selection and lite root pruning.

I plan to craft a nursery pot and mount it at the right level on the trunk, then graft on the seedlings. I hope they all take. I probably should also thread graft on something down low and see if I can salvage the lower trunk too. In the past I have only been moderately successful at larch grafts but I see no solution without doing this.

Any species specific approach grafting suggestions or tips are welcome.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
If you can achieve this it would improve the material immeasurably. Shouldn't be too hard?

However, these parallel lines bother me. I think the angle of that apex branch will need to be addressed either by planting angle or some tuggin'.

Although its kinda cool now how it looks like it is bending over to grope something. Kinda creepy. I like it. I would try to preserve this anthropomorphism when designing the tree in the future.

This could be a very impressive tree in the future.

FKSlZFk.jpg

Well, you are absolutely right so I wrote you a poem commemorating your discerning eye :

Your eye is too evil
just like a boll weevil

gnawing away at my prize

your curse is your blessing
unless your undressing

a body at fifty arrived

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A

Silver plate--ahh, that is where I mended the nursery pot after doing a in-pot root pruning last year(removed a big honking root stub).

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think if you can graft seedlings to take the place of the root system it could be a really great tree. Is that technique easier than layering ? I thought larch were fairly easy to layer, am I incorrect ? Or do you not want to risk it ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Silver plate--ahh, that is where I mended the nursery pot after doing a in-pot root pruning last year(removed a big honking root stub).

Ah hah. very crafty, this - and the poem.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I think if you can graft seedlings to take the place of the root system it could be a really great tree. Is that technique easier than layering ? I thought larch were fairly easy to layer, am I incorrect ? Or do you not want to risk it ?
I am afraid of uneven rooting on such a big trunk besides air layering larches is no easy feat at least for me. Lenz did it to geriatric trunks several times--I don't know what he would say. Probably that I should plant it in the cow field for a cow shade tree. I am in mid-process of one larch layer project and see only callusing so far after 1 year. I have both thread and approach grafted larch on a limited basis--everything takes years and is pretty boring.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Well, you are absolutely right so I wrote you a poem commemorating your discerning eye :

Your eye is too evil
just like a boll weevil

gnawing away at my prize

your curse is your blessing
unless your undressing

a body at fifty arrived

*blush*

yer a natural crust

Top Bottom