Cryptomeria and Spider Mites?

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a cryptomeria (tansu) from Brussels for 2 years now, I think it was 5 yro when purchased. Last summer I had it on the deck, full sun all day. It had a place about 2 inch diameter that turned red and died. From what I could tell it was the heat, but the tree made it through the summer without any other problems. This spring I re-potted it as it was very root bound, everything went well. As the summer heated up I noticed another "red" spot coming in the tree just like last year. I figured it would do the one spot like in the past and not get any worse. I left it on the deck and it got more spots, now that I think back they were not red, just brown dead foliage. So I moved it from the deck to shade, but it has continued to die on certain limbs. It has new growth coming from the truck so I do not think the tree is dying. Yesterday I was removing some of the dead limbs and saw a small spider like web. I removed it to find small white (I guess eggs) eggs in it. I had been thinking the tree was just still in shock from the heat, now I wonder if the problem is insects? I sprayed it with Neem Oil this afternoon. Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks,
Michael

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Insects are rarely the cause of damage like this. Insect infestations are a sign of a weakened tree. Weaker trees attract more than their fair share of bugs.

In your area, I'd be looking at too much sun...On a deck, even a half day of Alabama sun might be a little too intense for this tree.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks rockm, this summer heat has been a real "lesson" for me. I know next year I will move the trees to the shade when it starts to heat up in the high 90s. Will it hurt to continue to spray with Neem Oil as I monitor it?
Thanks,
Michael

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have left the tree in the shade this month and our temps have dropped a little. But it continues to have limbs die and at the same time new growth coming from the center. I have a picture of the tree from last year to show how much it has lost. If you look at the close-up you will see all the dead foliage and at the same time new growth. Any suggesting of what to do to save this ?

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• Tansu4-08.jpg
    Tansu4-08.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 54
  • Aug30_0004.jpg
    Aug30_0004.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Aug30_0005.jpg
    Aug30_0005.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 49

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no idea what this tree might do in your climate, but I agree with rockm. Between the constant cloud cover and the 150' Doug firs, we don't get much sun here, and these things grow like weeds. We just had an unusually hot month this summer after an unusually cold winter and spring (What spring?), but still the heat and sun here is nothing like you have, and my cryptomerias showed no sings of stress.

The fact that you have new growth that looks vibrant is a good sign. The old areas of die back may simply be continuing the process that was set in motion before you re-sited it to a shadier spot. I'd just try to keep it cool until winter, and in the early spring, if that new growth still looks good, I would re-pot into a training pot with well-draining bonsai soil. Then next year keep it cool as much as you can.

Good luck, and keep us posted on its progress.

Top Bottom