Cryptomeria "Black Dragon" Pruning

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Hey Nonsai Buts,

Trying to figure out how you handle foliage/pruning on this guy. Didn't see much info on it. I repotted early spring from nursery soil and just let the tree go. I left the foliage on top to help with recovery but plan to reduce height next year, possibly jin etc. When and how do you trim this guy? I am obviously trying to get more ramification but from my understanding, it is a slow growing tree. The only new growth I see is at the top and at the armpits of the branches. A possible development schedule would be helpful if anyone has one.20220708_133720.jpg20220708_133731.jpg20220708_133740.jpg

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another variety, but also cryptomeria
Long video... but worth it

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one from Wigerts in 2018 and it's about the same size now:) Slow growers for sure and a dwarf. I'll post more tomorrow. Like it but more like creating a sculpture or painting than Bonsai. Here is a pic from 2019 and last fall. Kinda spiral staircase tree:0
1657304566486.jpeg
10/21
1657304483890.jpeg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's today in the rain. Will be trimming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_143531302_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220708_143531302_HDR.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 24

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
I got one from Wigerts in 2018 and it's about the same size now:) Slow growers for sure and a dwarf. I'll post more tomorrow. Like it but more like creating a sculpture or painting than Bonsai. Here is a pic from 2019 and last fall. Kinda spiral staircase tree:0
View attachment 445939
10/21
View attachment 445938
I really like the look of this one! Great movement, very elegant.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So basically I should be pinching this guy back throughout the year after 5 to 6 cm. of growth to promote ramification?
No, I think you should pinching to balance your tree..in the right season.
Don't do the same as Ryan Neil, because your tree is not at the same stage as his.
I wouldn't pinch the short branches. Let them elongate. prune the branches that grow down. Clean the trunk.
In spring, pinch the strong branches, don't pinch the medium strong and weak branches... first goal is to shape your primary branches.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I let mine grow in spring into summer when second flush buds start popping and cut back to those pointing in the right direction. I cut up and down shoots and inward ones on these crazy trees.
You will see coarse looking ones different from the norm. These will extend and make branches quicker than the normal foliage if you want it where it's at.
I trimmed mine today leaving some random interior growth close to the trunk in case I need to cut back to it in future.
I left a couple longer that will get wired down soon. They're such slow growers that wire bite is not a problem. That mid level left branch will be brought in and down.

If you're tree was mine I would find a new leader about halfway up to wire up and cut back to.

Attachments

• IMG_20220709_102154240_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220709_102154240_HDR.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 35

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
I let mine grow in spring into summer when second flush buds start popping and cut back to those pointing in the right direction. I cut up and down shoots and inward ones on these crazy trees.
You will see coarse looking ones different from the norm. These will extend and make branches quicker than the normal foliage if you want it where it's at.
I trimmed mine today leaving some random interior growth close to the trunk in case I need to cut back to it in future.
I left a couple longer that will get wired down soon. They're such slow growers that wire bite is not a problem. That mid level left branch will be brought in and down.

If you're tree was mine I would find a new leader about halfway up to wire up and cut back to.
So possibly here next Spring........looks good actually. Your tree looks great btw.Screenshot_20220709-124048_Samsung capture.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find your best front first and then pick the best leader for 2/3 -3/4 size of the finished height you want as these grow so slow..
Thanks it's not too much fun cuz soooo sloooow to develop anything. Great for a low maintenance persons needs. I'll post when wired. Think sculpture vrs normal bonsai pre-planning for the future.

Last edited:

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
The foliage on this guy is turning brown/black everywhere and dying back! Does this look like blight to you? There is healthy new foliage at the base which I left untouched for now. Should I be hitting this guy with fungicidal spray?20220825_150704.jpg20220825_150659.jpg20220825_150655.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does that pan drain well?
I noticed the yellowing in your original post. Looks like it had already began then.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Crap. I drilled a couple more holes in the bottom and noticed water draining out. I guess during the summer dormancy, it was not taking up as much water. As a result, water was pooling making the situation worse. Thanks UD. I seriously thought it was a fungal issue from the beginning because all the new growth was so green.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those branches are dying back. I had that happen. It is redirecting it’s resources to those new buds on the interior. That’s what you know have to work with. The brown stems on the long branch in my experience is a sign the branch is dying back plus all the brown tips. I find them to be finicky but they grow very compact foliage. I think they are cool. I find mines to be a waste of time so far though but am still holding out hope since it is one of my first bonsai would be cool to keep.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Those branches are dying back. I had that happen. It is redirecting it’s resources to those new buds on the interior. That’s what you know have to work with. The brown stems on the long branch in my experience is a sign the branch is dying back plus all the brown tips. I find them to be finicky but they grow very compact foliage. I think they are cool. I find mines to be a waste of time so far though but am still holding out hope since it is one of my first bonsai would be cool to keep.
Thanks for the info. Going to see how it does in the fall, fingers crossed. Honestly, I would not be mortified if I had to start branches from scratch. It was not in the best condition when I initially purchased it. Possibly see a photo of yours? Don't see too many dragons out there.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info. Going to see how it does in the fall, fingers crossed. Honestly, I would not be mortified if I had to start branches from scratch. It was not in the best condition when I initially purchased it. Possibly see a photo of yours? Don't see too many dragons out there.
I bought mine 5 years ago when I started and trunk chopped to the lowest branch to create the new leader. And it took three years to really recover. I had some foliage on the new leader turn black and die. Similar to yours. With new interior foliage budding. I don’t have a photo because I haven’t done anything to it other then trunk chop and a repot into a colander. It looks like a fuzzy stick popping out sideways of a colander lol. The base is probably like pushing 5/8 inch diameter. So it’s not impressive at all. But this fall I am going to attempt another go at some trimming and wiring. Start finishing the development phase now that it is recovered. But I’ll post photo if I can remember.

Top Bottom