Cryptomeria Japonica “Tansu”

Jyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently acquired Cryptomeria Japonica “Tansu” and found not much information online. Wish someone here can share experience and advise. Are the branch flexible to bend, etc... thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just picked my first one up too and am excited to see what I can do with it. I can't answer for experience and advise but you can tell by yourself whether the branches are flexible. The smaller branches on mine are.

Reactions: Jyy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Super flexible, tight foliage, and back buds like crazy. I've had one for about a year and a half and so far it's doing well.

The procedure I use to get back buds is to let the whole thing grow out, then cut back hard everywhere. Then repeat once per season, maybe twice if it's growing very strongly.
This cryptomeria will produce backbuds even on the trunk.

Reactions: Jyy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought one from a nursery about a month ago and as you can see it in a container. I was told to transplant it at the end of winter into a bonsai container after I reduce the roots and then I was told to wait probably another year before I do any heavy pruning, but I could do some pinching on the undersides of the branch even starting now, do you think this is accurate in your experience? Thanks
You might want to work on the structure, reduce and perform an initial styling before putting it in a bonsai pot. I'm pretty conservative with these, and prune some of the branches that need to be removed every 6 months or so. The extra foliage helps it heal and it won't slow down much. At the same time, you can begin cutting back overly long branches a bit at a time, instead of being drastic with them. In other words, cut back maybe a third to some strong growth, let the tree back bud and recover, then cut back again until you reach the desired length.

Thus cryptomeria back buds very easily, but can slow down if you are very aggressive.

If you style the tree in the nursery pot, it will have enough roots to recover rapidly, rather than transplanting and removing roots, then styling.

Top Bottom