Cryptomeria Japonica questions

reefed419

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
I recently purchased this cryptomeria japonica, from a local landscape nursery. It had gotten knocked over and had a good amount of damaged or broken branches, so I went through a cleared all dead or broken branches. It is a tall plant at almost 40" from the soil line. I am hoping to get a couple of air layers to not waste, my other though t was stripping the upper part of the tree and try to propagate the trimmings. Or perhaps I will do both.

So anyway I am looking for some advice on where to chop/air layer this tree at. Any virtual advice would be great. I am thinking a low chop some root work and into the ground, but we will see. The truck in mighty straight so I need to work on that for sure, if I keep it.

I am having trouble posting pics from the iPad so I will get some up soon.

reefed419

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so it let me load 2 pics here they are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 86

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The majority of crypto bonsai are very straight-trunked, conical trees with padded foliage. You may be able to do a twin trunk with this one. However, it is pretty thin, so you can go many directions.

I think they layer, but have not tried it. Because it's still pretty small, I'd put my effort into thickening the trunk, and decide what the finished tree should look like. I wouldn't bother layering, but maybe you can strike some cuttings in the spring.

I have 2 in the ground now; after 5-6 years, one is about 4' tall and round, with a 3" trunk. It's getting close to being ready to cut back, so hopefully I'll have more insight to share next year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom