Cryptomeria japonica 'Spiralis'

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This cultivar of cryptomeria is a riot of curly Velcro like foliage. I worked this from nursery stock and I think it's ready to step up to a nice pot. Any help on selection of a pot and comments always welcome.IMG_20170622_183041065_HDR.jpg IMG_20170702_091438991.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Its going to be a very beautiful tree! Nice that it has such curves to it, so unusual for a Crypto. Are you thinking about keeping it taller? And I would say a rounded drum pot to reflect its wildness

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I am planning to do an apex to shorten the tree. In older pics there was an empty space between the lower limbs and the top. You can still see it on the left. The branch filling the right side was a tiny little nubbin of a twig and now I'm considering reduction to that branch and forming the apex from it.
It definitely needs to come out of that box. I adjusted the angle of the trunk by jacking up the box with a piece of 2x4 this past spring. I like the idea of a studded drum, John, I happen to have one. I've been looking for a rock slab or a piece of deadwood to plant it on.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeah, maybe lose the top third? and a slab would look good too but I find Crypto look better in pots but then again this isnt your average one either

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got few of these dropped on my lap, from family, like you from nursery stock. So I have been researching them to learn what is possible. I am assuming you bent the trunk, as most are straight, and wanted to do similar to your in bending and of course, push the envelope on what can be done.
Any other hints, found they love moisture, hate wind, and need a good amount of consistent pruning. The dead stuff, which is why I ended up with it, haha, was pretty extensive, but then again, we need to thin out majority to get to the trunk anyways.
Your tree has given me hope, well done, and nice nebari as well. If it helps, I was thinking of slabs as well. I try to make them and we'll see how they come out.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
non formal upright cryptomerias are very under rated

So true!! As I mildly mentioned, I tend to go to the edge, push the envelope, swim upstream, or create the abstract. So I currently am attempting to bend 3 of the 5. Now I do like a dead straight Chokan, however, I have found and heard it is more difficult than one thinks. I kinda feel they highlight mistakes, however subtle they may be, but then again, I'm a firm believer in Wabi Sabi, which is what a lot of Bonsai is based on, at least in my view and attempts in creating.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Sugi everywhere up here but I've never done one. Had some tiny leafed cultivars but like all cryptomerias sudden branch death is a problem. I think that's why we don't see many examples. P1020059.JPG P1020058.JPG P1020057.JPG

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a total repot and major roots reduction. Got rid of the turface and replanted in pumice. I did reduce the overall height and trimmed back the branches.
The drum pot was a bit more than I wanted to go at this point, so I went with a box the same size, but half the depth. Note to self - only use premium grade wood for the bottom of boxes. Or your tree will grow right into the bottom. Yeah, kind of messy getting it out of the old box. Also, try not to let it go so long before rework. Probably going on six years since I boxed it up, maybe seven. Three to four would have been about right.
Here's a new front and back.IMG_20180426_122242122.jpgIMG_20180426_122104396.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, I never did any bending or wiring on this tree. It was like this when I found it. It's all been clip and grow, or ungrow, however you view the process. It keeps getting smaller and smaller, lol. I'll let it recoup the summer and do some wiring this fall.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I have not done any wiring on this tree. It did very nicely after the repot, with new growth all summer. It's buried in the snow right now.

Top Bottom