Cryptomeria possibilities

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone was asking about cryptomeria as bonsai the other day. One of my favorite trees. Rather than highjack that thread I thought I would post two very different trees to give a sense of the range of possibilities these present. I'm sorry I don't know the particular types of these two.

First is a whimsical styling of a little 7" shohin that I found in a regular nursery and rescued from a lifetime of mediocrity as a little green mound somewhere unnoticed in someone's yard. It is slightly weeping, which has been a challenge. Three years in training, and probably not to everyone's liking. :D

The second one is actually a virt of a tree I developed from an 8' piece of nursery stock over the course of two years and then gave away to my neighbors, who really admired it, as a gift on their 25th wedding anniversary. The virt is entirely realistic except that the deadwood top was not yet carved down so much yet, and once I gave it away I didn't have the nerve to suggest to them that I wanted to change it any further - but that's where I would have taken it, and quite easily so. About 2' tall.

These are very robust and forgiving trees, with wonderfully small foliage. One of my favorite species.

Attachments

• CryptoShohin.jpg
    CryptoShohin.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 277
  • gift1.jpg
    gift1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 270

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
You get tired of that little Shohin please remember me!
I find it very gracefull but could also see carving a spirit face in a part of the deadwood...:D
I hope your friends enjoy the tree for many years it is a beautiful work of Art.
Irene

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love these trees and especially love the second one... have I seen that one in person?

See I told 'em you had some awesome cryptomerias.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Irene - I think that first one makes a great bonsai Rorschach. I can picture it with a spirit face, but then I can picture lots of other things in it as well!

Ang3lfir3, I don't think I still had that tree when you moved here. I went the next year and trimmed it for them, and reiterated the instructions on its care, which is simple in these parts. They said they'd call if it or they needed my help, but they've never mentioned it so I assume it's still there doing well. Maybe we can mosey on over and have a look at it some time when you're over.

Will

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice trees - thank you for sharing!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a bit of an update for this little cutie in fall colors. Enjoy.

Attachments

• CryptoShohin-Fall09.jpg
    CryptoShohin-Fall09.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 149

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A 6” er & 11”er
These are kind of cool for mini trees really....I think I’m going for it.See how fast they grow and research a bit......stratifyings seeds a few weeks.....maybe only 2 weeks really.
824C6BB8-D101-4F5F-8302-F1547BCF8DE4.jpeg0706C901-D675-422F-9581-2507D22633E6.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I understand they root from cuttings very easily!
Seedling cuttings here I come!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
bonsai Rorschach

I’m probably going to steal that analogy in general.. (I’ll always “tm” you, though)

I love cryptomeria.. the one that I have was a two inch cutting when I “collected” it.. (Now its.... well... NOT) this ALSO my first successful cutting... so the specie is very special to me.

Great work.

Top Bottom