cryptomeria question

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there!
i ran into a cryptomeria japonica "cristata" and am curious if this cultivar is suitable for bonsai because off the big clumps of foliage it create's

anyone knows about this ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmm haven't heard of that one before but i find that just about all the cryptomeria species work well, you have any pictures of it?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i didnt buy it yet because i am not sure if they are suitable.

this are the foliage clumps I talked about
I wonder if constantly pinching is going to prevent this from happening

cryptomeria-japonica-cristata_1.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i didnt buy it yet because i am not sure if they are suitable.

this are the foliage clumps I talked about
I wonder if constantly pinching is going to prevent this from happening

View attachment 124001

Foo, I haven't seen this yet, it's beatiful for a porch but not sure if manageable. I would pick a different cultivar.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
dont see cryptomeria here often tough this was the first time i ran into one lol

trunk was about 2,5 inch at the base with some cool movement but with this foliage i think im going to wait untill i find other cultivars it was cheap tough hmmmm lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
yeah that looks like a whole lotta work just to keep it manageable lol but if the rest of the plant is good material then pick it up and experiment

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yeah that looks like a whole lotta work just to keep it manageable lol but if the rest of the plant is good material then pick it up and experiment

went there again today and decided not to buy it maybe when they put it in the bargain corner early spring il take one for experimenting
as usual i didnt go home empty handed :oops: :rolleyes:bought 3 White cedars and one cool little malus "golden hornet"

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The "cristata" or "cristate" or "monstrose" variants of most plants do not make good bonsai. However, Japanese & many plant collectors world over cherish these deformed mutants. Grown well they are great grotesques. Each it's own unique sculpture. Not tree like, but weirdly beautiful.

Bad bonsai but cool specimen plants.

Top Bottom