Cryptomeria 'Yokohama'

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This was an "emotional buy" a few years ago. There must be another term for "emotional buy", but I'm getting old and haven't practised my English for a couple of years now, but anyway, you probably know what I mean.

I never found a link on this supposed cultivar of cryptomeria, but it looks like a dwarf variety and the leaves don't turn brown in winter.

Unfortunately, we're having dry and hot summers here, and it's going to be even worse I'm afraid. So like other conifers in the same family (I'm thinking of Sequiadendron), it lost a lot of low branches.
I decided to repot it, trim it a bit and wire it. We'll see. It apparently has flowers (male or female ?...) :

August :

cryptom-yoko_220810a.jpg cryptom-yoko_220810c.jpg cryptom-yoko_220810d.jpg

November :

cryptom-yoko_221116a.jpg
"Flower buds" :

cryptom-yoko_221116b.jpg

There's a small idea of a branch after where the trunk serpents, I'm not sure at all it will survive.

Layering the trunk above would probably be a better option, what do you think ?

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting. I don't see a lot of cryptomeria posts on here. My very first venture into bonsai was spring of 2021 when I brought home a small cryptomeria from Lowe's and with zero experience and very little knowledge began pruning and wiring.
They grow reasonably quickly, back bud readily and seem to like our mid-Missouri climate. I'd like to get another.
Afraid I can't offer much advice re: air layering.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Since I didn't know how this tree looks in the nature I didn't know what to think.
But after a brief research I found this.

Cryptomeria-Saint-Gilles.jpg

I think this kind of style could fit your little tree

20221126_123422.jpg20221126_123503.jpg20221126_123523.jpg

I mean, working with the branches left. A straight trunk wouldn't bother me at all on this case.

BonsaiEire

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it has potential yes maybe layering to shorten would be good idea. In my experience they layer very easily.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

How about wiring some curves into that trunk?

Though the trunk is still rather thin (less than an inch, a bit more tha 2 cm), it's not supple nough to be bent.
Also, Cryptomeria in the "real world" never look bent . I (we) can play with species and make them look "bonsai-like", twisting, wiring, scarring a maple for instance (some French guys do that), but, no, please, not a Cryptomeria ! ;)

Can you imagine a "windsept sequoia" ? No, no way.
[/U]

Afraid I can't offer much advice re: air layering.

Don't be afraid : that's a very good piece of advice. Cryptomeria have strong straight trunks. There's a fault at the base that must be addressed to make it look like a "real" tree. To me, that's what (most) bonsai should look like. "Naturalistique" , like some French say <LOL>

after a brief research I found this

Thanks Juanmi.

The second photo is what looks closer to the "Japanese bonsai" pictures I've seen.

Mine maybe looks too much like the 1st or the 3rd one, They're not like pines that have branches that are at 30 degrees down, those I can remember had almost 90° branches.
Mine is a "potted tree that vaguely looks like bvonsai".

I don't see a lot of cryptomeria posts on here

Thanks for your comment.

Like Sequoiadendron, I think it's a very difficult tree to keep in a pot, a real challenge (in French : "un vrai défi".

But I saw at least one or two, even in France, that really deserve the name "bonsai"...

Top Bottom