cryptomeria

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've posted this one elsewhere on the internet, but thought folks here who hadn't seen it elsewhere might enjoy it. A 29" cryptomeria I started about two years ago from 8' nursery stock, and I gave it away this summer as a 25th wedding anniverary gift to my neighbors, the man having always admired it. The first photo is the tree as it was when I gave it to them, and the second photo is today after they requested I come by and trim it (which I offered to do, neither one really interested in learning the craft). The foliage is starting to take on a bit better definition. The deadwood still needs work, and I may offer to do that over time, although they seem very happy with it as it is.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 118
  • gift.jpg
    gift.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 118

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree and the gift and upkeep was a nice gesture.

Any photos of it before the transition? No big deal, just curious. Cryptomeria is pretty new to me.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
What a fantastic gift....
Mom

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any photos of it before the transition? No big deal, just curious. Cryptomeria is pretty new to me.

This is the oldest photo I have of it, a few weeks after I bought it, got it home and spent 10 minutes on the "initial styling" - merely sawing 2/3 through the trunk, snapping it off and ripping the wood down to create initial shari/jin wound. Before that it was about 8' tall, with a large crown of growth and a small bit of back budding down low on the trunk, which became the foliage seen here. The hardest work initially was pruning away huge roots - did it in two stages a year apart. Very resilient, robust trees, and extremely easy to care for, at least here in the Pacific Northwest. I've got two more I'm starting similar stylings with, though neither is as nice as this one I think.

Attachments

• Cryptomeria.jpg
    Cryptomeria.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 71

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a cryptomeria last week. I am encouraged to see the needle growth you have developed so close to the trunk, since this apparently isn't a normal growth pattern for these trees.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really nice. I agree with Zappa - I need to come over and "admire" some of your trees :)

I hate to even suggest anything because I don't want to sound critical, but if it were my tree I might consider tapering/reducing the deadwood a little at the top to make it look a little less spike-like and a little lighter weight. Here's a virtual that I did in about 30 seconds :) Sometimes it helps me when other people make suggestions about my trees...

gift2.jpg

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a great virt, B'Nut! Thanks. The neighbors like it a lot the way it is, I think, and I'd be hesitant at this point to even suggest to them that I wanted to do some major re-working - but if it was still in my possession I'd certainly be taking it in a direction along those lines.

On another site where I posted this, I also liked a virt that took the deadwood down even further, eliminating the paired upper tufts of foliage altogether, and hollowing out and making more jagged the top of the deadwood as you have done.

My eye and skill at carving are not that good yet, but I have two others of this variety in development and will try a better top along your lines, I think, on those. Thanks.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Close Mr. Nut. But I think Will would like it much more if the pot had flames...:p

Nice tree Will. Can't wait to see how it develops through the years. And, yes, I do like the flame pots you acquired...

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Close Mr. Nut. But I think Will would like it much more if the pot had flames...:p

Nice tree Will. Can't wait to see how it develops through the years. And, yes, I do like the flame pots you acquired...

My flame pot source dried up, at least for now. :( Thanks for the kind words, Rich.

B'Nut - to take your idea a bit further in the direction of the other virt I talked about, here's a cpmpromise virt that I think I where I would go.

Attachments

• gift3.jpg
    gift3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 42

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
i realy like this tree ! you have achieved a very powerful, but graceful image.
but i gotta tell you when it comes to giving trees as gifts to family and friends, i insist that the trees direction is my concern. it is an artists porogative. besides i enjoy the fix when i havent got any thing to do, its all good practice.

Top Bottom