Culling the Herd

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As of my last count, there were about 75 trees in various stages that I was caring for. I happen to generally enjoy the work, but lately started to question whether I really needed to be caring for all these. It's not the number of trees, it's that some are tiny sticks and others have been mangled in my learning process - they are going nowhere or on a timeline I simply am no longer interested in. I'd rather focus my efforts elsewhere. So, I gave away some, planted some in the yard and simply off'd a few. For whatever reason, me and junipers just don't get along - it's the one species I can't seem to keep alive. For the better, as I like working with deciduous trees more. With the herd culled a bit, I treated myself to a nicer trident maple.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think this is the way to go: focus your energy on fewer, more rewarding problems. After I lost my collection 2 years ago due to a sprinkler malfunction, I decided to rebuild it but with way fewer trees. I now have 10 trees and I am much happier that before. It is now a hobby, which I enjoy and still leaves me time for my family and for other hobbies instead of taking over my life, especially during the growing season

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
still leaves me time for my family and for other hobbies instead of taking over my life, especially during the growing season
Agreed. I need to go away for a week or so over the summer and trying to figure out how to convince my wife to water when gone. No way she is fertilizing. She's gonna milk this favor.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agreed. I need to go away for a week or so over the summer and trying to figure out how to convince my wife to water when gone. No way she is fertilizing. She's gonna milk this favor.

I have found that designer handbags usually do the trick 🤣

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll be there myself before long. I've made a habit of accepting whatever trees come my way. It's been great for learning - more trees means more experience in a short time - but there will soon be a time when I'm largely done with the endless experimenting.

More excitingly, I'm a recovering drunk and am feeling myself getting closer to that light at the end of the tunnel. I won't have to spend all my money on trees just to prevent myself from spending it on booze!
Crap. That means I'll have to spend it on bills.😕
Oh well.🤷

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've decided to focus on JBP cork bark varieties, JWP, and junipers. Been slowly getting rid of the rest. I have a few deciduous I'm attached to so there is that.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find myself at the end of the spectrum where the plants have taken over. They won. Problem for me is that I am personally running low on steam. I have decided to get rid of most of my houseplants and tropical bonsai. At least then I can take winter vacations.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that designer handbags usually do the trick 🤣
Have a kid this year and in 14 years you’ll have the perfect water helper while you’re gone! My daughter in particular is on point.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, my bonsai New Year's resolution was very similar: Take better care of the good trees, get rid of the bad trees, no more sticks in pots without solid plans for development.
If I get rid of all my stick in pot and bad trees I'll have to take up golf or something lol.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know the feeling, I definitely need to sale off some things and focus more on what makes me more happy. I’m more into deciduous but I would love to learn pines.
This is where I'm struggling. I like conifers but conifers don't like me apparently.
Until I get it figured out I'm doomed to accepting everything else in order to make myself think I'm making progress.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently had a big move.... that was when I actually started counting how many I had... while I was loading them into the truck and tying/securing them down.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm in the growth phase, but I'm considering styling and selling/gifting my easy propagating trees locally to get them off my hands once I get my skills up instead of hoarding(tiger barks, barbados cherry, portulacaria afras, singapore hollies) and limiting myself to two nice examples of each down the road instead of having 20 of each. Also looking to do more mame and small shohin stuff with the tray method ala Eric Shrader from Bonsaify.

I've been trying to avoid styling my nicer old material too much because I dont want to butcher them, and I feel that I dont have the skills to do them justice yet. My 'culling' phase is probably a few years away lol.

Top Bottom