Cultivating and applying moss to containers. Video

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here’s a great video of a technique to cultivate and apply moss to soil. Especially useful if you are going to display your trees.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very fascinating. I was wondering if the moss survives being cut, and I figure the other tree is proof of that. Maybe for survival it requires some aftercare as in less sun and more water, which can be sketchy for the tree..
I'll have to have a go at this for and experiment.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If the moss used was harvested from a full sun site, meaning the species of moss used normally grows in full sun, then the tree with fresh moss planting should immediately go back into full sun. Humidity is key to getting moss to take. Outdoors, in summer, in most areas except desert regions, humidity will almost always be above 50%, which will be enough to get the moss going. Keep the tree on its normal watering schedule. Moss is real tolerant of drying between watering, as long as humidity is moderate to high. (anything above 50%).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you live in desert regions, moss is not going to grow. Or will be very difficult to get to grow. Low humidity will kill off the moss.

Very hard water will kill off moss. This is common for irrigation water in desert regions to have very high total dissolved solids. This can inhibit moss. Generally moss will grow without trouble if Total dissolved solids are below 600 ppm, which is the upper end of the "medium range" for water quality.

Top Bottom